2001 dodge caravan 3.3 speedometer not working - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2001 dodge caravan 3.3 speedometer not working

It worked great until I replaced the motor, everything else works just great ,even the odometer. I put in a new computer checked all connections and there is nothing. Could I have screwed up the sensor somehow? I didn't mess with that part, dropped the engine and tranny at the same time, swaped them out and reinstalled. It went in to easy I guess. I don't know where else to look! HELP ME PLEASE! I'm ready to get this back to it's owner but he won't take it until I fix the speedometer or he will get tickets he says! What do I need to do other thatn try a new speed sensor?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

I am in a Chrysler class tomorrow I will see if there is anything they can help with. We are talking about CAN buss so this will be a little easier to think about
Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 PM

I fixed it ,but I want to see what you can come up with. lets see what their teaching you.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

My first guess was an issue with the BCM. When these were around more I powered down then repowered the BCM (unpluged it and reset it) and it took care of most issues with the instrument cluster as well as the wipers and window motors. Ted the Chrysler instructor (he is one of the few that Chrysler still has worknig for them) thought along the same lines. The BCM takes an output speed signal then turns that into ground speed and that is converted into miles driven. What was it?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 PM

YOu got it! I did the same thing after I sit and pondered about it for a while. Cleaned the connections and put in a little electrical grease and she was fine.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

Cool great minds think alike, Mike
Old 09-26-2010, 01:25 PM

I have the same problem but i cant figure out how to reset the BCM..

How did you reseolve the problem exactly! I could really use the right answer ..
Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Try takeing the cables off the batt over night first. If that doesn't. Work than the bcm is the box right around the batt box, unplug it ( disconnect batt) clean the connections and add some die electric grease. Let me know if this helps
Old 09-26-2010, 03:21 PM

wow thnks for the quick reply! I was under the impression that the white box under the dash behind the emergency brake was the BCM. Then in the engine is the Battery, Fuse Box, PCM (right behind the headlight) and then the Transmission module by the left front tire. Which one did I label incorrectly? I have been driving myself crazy with this problem for the last 2 days tracing every wire, changing harnesses! When I saw your post online I couldnt believe it! thanks again!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM

No you are correct, it has been a while since I done this job. I cleaned the tranny module and it worked for me. To be safe clean them all. Make sure you use die electric grease! Had a friend I told to use grease on a harness and he used wheel bearing grease ( he was not that brite anyway). But I had the same problem for two days untill I. Cleaned the connection with electrical cleaner and a small brush. Plugged it back in and it worked like a charm. That van was a job from h*** and that was just one of the minor problems it had.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Chrysler had an issue with these that they didn't ever figure out. Kind of like the computer guy telling you to reboot your computer. They see a voltage spike or low voltage and they don't want to play nice with everyone else. I have unplugged and replugged them in and like FM (freekin magic) they worked. Can't tell you what I did but that and it has always worked for me.

Wait till you have an ABS issue on the same van and a 20.00 switch goes out but you have to buy the entire unit to get it.

Mike
Old 09-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

What can you expect from a PCM mounted under the battery tray. Silly engineers, they don't think things will ever break. And they only get worse from there.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.