Hot Rod Forum banner

2001 Dodge Ram "hood"

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
My hood is stuck big time closed, I cut the rod but still no release, everything is sooo rusted out anyway. Any ideas? I am about to get a new one (junk yard) any pictures of the complete latch, tia. Dana

#2 ·
Does the cable seem to be hooked something? When you pull on the release does it seem like it's "doing something" and not just loose?

If it seems like it's doing something, have someone pull on it and get out there WHILE it's being pulled and pull up on the hood while pushing it sideways, wiggling it back and forth up down back and forth, sometimes you can get a tight latch loose that way.

The "Rod" would likely only be for the safety latch, not the main latch. Does the hood come up at all? Maybe it's the safety latch that is caught?

You may be able to reach it from below, there is an air deflector under the radiator as I remember and you can remove it gaining access possibly?

Brian

#4 ·
Dodge hood

Took all your advise, I did get it loose, but there is so much rust that the whole thing is pretty piss poor. For now I am using a bungy strap for insurance, I really need a complete locking mechanism, oh well. And again thanks for all the help, Dana

#5 ·
If your safety catch isn't working DO NOT drive with a bungy cord that isn't enough! When air gets under that hood it can make a bungy cord look like a piece of bubble gum, do NOT drive with just a bungy cord holding the hood down!

Oil up the latch, pour oil over it, click it shut with a screw driver and pop it open, do this over and over and over and you should be able to get it loose again. Spray oil into the cable housing too.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.