2001 Ford SOHC 4.0L V6 engine swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 09:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 2001 Ford SOHC 4.0L V6 engine swap

I am looking for an engine management harness for a 2001 Ford SOHC 4.0L V6 that I can use when I put the engine in my 1941 International. I plan to use a Ford automatic (probably a C4) and will swap the International rear axle for a late model Ford unit. Does anyone know of an outfit that makes custom harnesses for late model Ford engines? //Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 11:33 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Sounds like a fun project.I love those 4.0L's .My dad has one in his 2000 Ranger.Anyway,I just have 2 minor questions..

1) How do you plan to hook a C4 to this engine?
2) Wy not go with something easier to swap in,such as a Ford 302 or Chevy 350?These will produce more power and will be 25 times easier to install,especially the 350.

But,if your heart is set on the 4.0L,check out the following website.Last time I looked,they had tons of wiring diagrams for 4.0L's.

www.therangerstation.com

Hope this helps.

Nightrain
Old 12-03-2003, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Lots of harnesses in the boneyards. Find a "donor". Should be cheap too.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:43 PM

Cool

True, I could go to the boneyard and get a harness but I wanted to stay away from the cutting and splicing work if possible. Based on my research though I may have to do that.

As an update, I've decided to go with a 5R55E 5 speed automatic instead of the C4. The reason the 4.0L SOHC engine has my interest is that I got it for an excellent price. The Ford 4.6L V8 and the Chevy 4.8L V8 have my interest but I can't find them reasonably priced at this point so I'm going to go with the V6. With the right equipment, the V6 will move the old International right smartly down the road. //Bill
Old 12-06-2003, 01:01 PM

4.0L SOHC w/5R55

Use the 2WD Ranger harness if you can find one, or use the harness that came on the engine and trans you have.

The biggest problem you will have will be with the PATS, passive anti-thief system. The PCM needs to get a PATS command "OK" before it will actually go to normal operational mode. SO, if you have a donor vehicle, get the PATS module, wiring, the key transponder, and the keys!

These engines and trans are basically the same from 1997 to 2001 with minor differences in the intakes for some applications. This effects the coil mounting and plug wires. Early units have aluminum cam covers, then switched to plastic. The 4x4 engines have a balance shaft under the crank, 2WD engines do not. It is needed to offset NVH in the transfer case.

Check the VIN for donor vehicle with a dealer to see if the cam chain recall has been done. If not, do it before you install the engine. Dealer has a kit.

Make certain you use a trans cooler with the 5R55.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:43 AM

Thanks Walt for the input. I will add those items to my shopping list. I've been told by others that I can have the PCM flashed to remove the requirement for the PATS II code and thus eliminate all those extra components. What are your thoughts on this?

Since my last post, I've picked up a 5R55E transmission and have been studying up on the engine/tranny electrical connections. It appears that the harness I currently have on the 4.0L is mostly complete (it does have the tranny connectors). My biggest problem is trying to determine what PCM I will need for this unit. I suspect a BAE4 may be okay but that is only a hunch at this point.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
mudbogger

check out www.car-part.com for salvage yards that may have the motor your looking for.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:16 AM

2001 4.0L SOHC Swap

I am not sure what the PCM number you noted is exactly. BAE4? 2001MY PCMs were made by Motorola in their plant in Seguin, Texas. The base part number for all such PCMs is 12A650. For 2001MY the prefex/suffix should be either YU7A/APA. 1U7A/CCA, 1L2F/AAD, or a 1L5A/BDB,BFB,or BBB.

All 4.0L SOHC PCMs since 1997 through 2001 were based on the Ford ML2 PCM design, so pin-outs should be very similar for all versions, but calibrations and features will vary by year and application.

You need to also be careful to match the injectors to the correct PCM as Ford produced both normal gasoline versions and Flex-fuel versions of the 4.0L SOHC in 2001. Gas versions have blue injectors (19#) and Flex Fuel versions have red injectors (24#) Check which type of injectors your engine has before selecting a PCM.

If the PCM has software PATS, then yes you can have it re-flashed to delete the PATS functions. Best to check with one of the module re-programing companies to be certain.

The above confusion is why I suggested that you get a complete engine/trans/wiring harness/PCM set from a salvage yard or by buying a complete salvage vehicle. Once the parts are separated, it is difficult to avoid mis-matched parts.

Walt
Old 01-07-2004, 02:41 PM

Walt,

The input you've given me is greatly appreciated and it is helping me to understand the many issues I will need to tackle as I prep this vehicle. I am familiar with the number sequences you mentioned through postings at various websites. I also became aware that Ford assigned a four-place alpha-numeric identifier to each of their PCM. This is reportedly called a box code and has three letters followed by a number. In addition to being on the PCM, this number sequence is shown under the hood on a sticker as well as in the driver's side door jam area. I have been told that the numbers you have referred to would get me to the right family of PCMs but not necessarily to the PCM that would match a 2001 4.0L SOHC V6 with 5 speed automatic. Ideally, getting one donor vehicle is the best way to go, I would agree, but sometimes the dollars and sense aspect (I got the engine and tranny at an extremely good price) overides. I've always been a little adventuresome anyway. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Any other tidbits to share at this point?

//Bill
Binders4ever
Old 01-10-2004, 09:42 AM

4.0L SOHC w/5R55

Bill,

The PCM code on the door is the calibration code. It defines what control strategy and what calibration file have been burned into the PCM memory. There is a 4 digit code shown on the boxes that PCMs are in when shipped to the assembly plants. This does match the code on the PCM harness connector. If you buy a service PCM, the dealer has to burn the code into the module, and that is done based on the vehicle VIN # and what the Ford Service computer aligns for calibration updates to that vehicle package. It also prints new lables. Often the dealer does not update the door code, but it should be on the cam cover or in engine compartment as an over lay decal.

My 1998 4x4 explorer has calibration "CGU" on the door post and BAE1 on the PCM harness connector. I do not think these two codes provide the same information. BAE1 is the PCM module family configuration, what features and what pin-outs. "CGU" is the calibration my car was made with at assembly plant. Maybe some knows more, if you find out, please advise.

If you have the engine harness, all the injectors, TPS, ECT, sensors, to the large square connector mounted above the driver's side cam cover, and you have the mate to that large connector that includes the sensor and control plugs for the trans as well as the PCM connector, you have all the wiring needed to control the engine and trans. Make sure you have the MAFS, mass air flow sensor, and harness. The ACT, air charge sensor, is mounted in the plastic tube that connects the MAFS to the throttle body. You need this too.

FInd your self an Explorer or ranger with the 4.0L SOHC/5R55 and see where the vheicle interfaces to those harnesses you have. Vehicle power, ground, crank and run signals, the fuel pump relay, etc all have to connect up to your harnesses. Account for every connector on your harnesses, and make sure you know how to reproduce that connection on your old truck.

If you can't figure one out, ask, we have 4 such vehicles in our family fleet. Let's keep talking.

walt460
walt460@yahoo.com
Old 02-20-2004, 08:15 AM

Thanks, Walt. I hope to log some serious time on the International as the weather warms up....I've been studying the connectors on the engine in the garage and they appear to be complete. I need to make a decision on the fuse panel and may pick one up from a wrecked Explorer. I can then interface that with the chassis wiring harness that I bought from EZ. I also bought a PCM pin-out book and am waiting for it to arrive. This should help with sorting out the wiring. I'll keep you posted on my adventure.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.