2001 Grand Am ignition - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Crazy Canadian, woohooooo!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2001 Grand Am ignition

Hey guys,

A co-worker of mine is having issues with her grand am and the dealership is trying to jack her around in my opinion. They say her 2001 grand am uses a transponder based key and will cost big bucks to fix. I tell her "No, 2001 grand am uses passlock, not passkey, and that the ignition cylinder is where it all happens." They want to sell a new key for 85 bucks. I firmly believe that that the key is irrelevant. I know I'm not discussing the full scope of the problem with car, that I'll discuss later. I just want an answer on if the key is transponder based or not, for now.

thanks
Marc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 10:07 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Hey Marc. I can't help you, but where the hades have you been? about dang time you showed back up? what, you lose your computer in the move?
Old 10-10-2004, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

I've been a very busy guy... Where do I start. (Well, I should probably update my profile since I no longer live Manitoba, LOL) After breaking up with my girlfriend and deciding to move back to Ontario I ended up with a new girlfriend, then married said girlfriend, then bought a new grand am (unlike my co-workers grand am, mine actually runs ), then bought a house with new found wife. Did some renos to house to boost resale value. Enrolled in school to become an electrician. And now I'm waiting to take my apprentice acceptance exam with the local union here. . Plus, I figured with all the crap that was going on in here last year and having four jaw leave, it would be good to take a little break. It's nice to be back on again, and actually be remembered (can't find a "teary" emote). Talk amongst yourselves for a minute.......ok I'm better now. I'll be back on again later . Talk to you soon.

Marc
Old 10-10-2004, 11:54 PM

My '01 Tahoe uses the transponder key, I'll bet the grand am does too.

I know that late model mustangs do also. Had to study up for a contest , that was one of the bugs on the car.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

Now see, I found a guide for GM vehicles and what types of factory systems they have and the Grand am and the Tahoe are both shown as having passlock, not passkey which is transponder based (GM transponder keys are also recognized by the "PK3" stamped on the key shank just below the plastic key head). This is bugging me now because it's hard to find info on this subject and I'm getting ready to confront the dealership about this issue. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Marc
Old 10-11-2004, 02:31 PM

I have a 2000 Buick and it does not have a tp key.... from this it looks like she does

clicky

or go to pontiac.com, register at owners center and check the online owners manual
Old 10-11-2004, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Great, just great. As I sit here writning a response a sad thing just happened, my cat just died. I know it sounds funny, but it isn't my wife is going to freak. It was a 9 week old kitten that contracted a cold. Looks like he's still alive need vet bye

Ok, well it's official. Sadly my kitten has passed on at 9:08pm . Now I have to figure out what to do with him, and how to explain this to my wife as compassionately as possible.

Now back to the subject at hand. I reviewed the web page from bulldog security that you posted, which was pretty straight forward except for one flaw, it has years that don't coincide with passlock and some vehicles that are listed for a particular key are listed went from style to a completly different style (i.e. chevy cavalier had a single sided key in 1991 all the way until the body style changed in 95 going to a double sided key, yet apparently they say that the 91 cav uses a transponder key. Same with grand am.) Now considering passlock II was only introduced in 1995 that chart is wrong as far as the key and the application. Cavaliers had no anti-theft systems until 1995. There are a few others also that don't match up. There also trying to say that a 1987 delta 88 uses the same key as a chevy venture van. Sorry for scrutinizing the link to the web sight like that.

Some insurance thing
I have a link here to an insurance bureau. Read it and tell me what ya think. Any body work for gm here that would know the answer to this question because I will unleash misery on the dealership if they are trying to screw over people like that.

Thanks again guys.

Marc

Last edited by Forkliftguy; 10-11-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Is bumping still allowed in here?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.