Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 2001 Malibu transmission surges in drive between 2,000-2,150 with no pedal change.
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appliance Guy
2001 Malibu will surge while in drive, ranging between 2,000-2,150 without change in pressure to accelerator. Like as if it is slipping in and out of gear. Also when you depress accelerator to pass,it will drop down into 1st okay and then when it changes to second,it struggles to find that gear and seems as though it is trying to get second and/or 3rd and gets in a bind. I cringe and let off of the accelerator and then it is in second again. Please help? I am going real easy on the pedal as I need to get another 10 years out of this car.
odds are this car has the 4t40e trans which is typically a good trans. without any info on mileage, or if it has any leaks, recent service work, or if theres any trouble cords stored, it would be difficult to help tell what is going with the trans except that more than likely, it is cycling the converter clutch on and off, which could be anything from a trans range sensor, to believe it or not, a MAF, or TPS on the engine. get what you can for info and reply back.