Hot Rod Forum banner

2002 Avalanche

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Chazmac 
#1 ·
My wife has 2002 avalanche she was complaining from time to time it was running sluggish. When i Finlay done it to me i noticed from the stop light to highway speed it would never shift. So for some reason it is staying in high gear. most of the time turning it off for a few min fixes for a while. Of coarse the highly skilled mechanics(haha) of the dealership ca't find the problem because it don't through any error codes. AN other ting it started about the same time or just be for is the gages all drop down like when key is turned off and comes back on and all the start up lights come on and cycle like when you first start the truck. I don't really want to do what the mechanics say to do " just wait and the problem will get worse and kick a code then we can fix". ya like replacing the whole transmission. any idea out there?

#4 ·
Time to start raising HELL!

The squeeky wheel get's the grease.

If talking to the shop manager gets you nowhere talk to the owner. If that doesn't work call GM directly. You might also try looking for some other GM dealership that might be closer and willing to help you out (they might even have pull with the dealer near you).

Make this THEIR problem not your wifes!

#5 ·
if the gauges are going to zero, check your fuses. The tranny probably is going into limp mode, which is third gear

Sorry , I cannot remember the location numbers of the fuses to check. check them all I guess.

#6 ·
Even though there are no present codes, doesn't mean the PCM isn't containing information on what is going on.

They should be able to extract something from it, it contains a freeze frame feature that can show other things going on when a problem arises, I'm just not sure if it works full time or only when a code is set.

I would ask the dealership if they have a plug-in data module to record PCM activities as you or the wife drives the vehicle, this way when the problem arises, it gets noticed and the problem can be closer to being pinpointed and resolved.

Because of our 2000 Impala LS, the wife has informed me we ARE going to buy a much older vehicle to restore and get away from computer controls for a "together" project and to have one that is also "fun" to drive without the vehicle trying to take over (and take some "fun" out of it).

#8 ·
The vehicle is dropping the power feed to the trans. GM uses the ignition switch to feed the trans circuit. The clue that you told was the gauge malfunction and the light malfunction. This failure is more common on older vehicles, but the switch does fail. It will not affect the vehicle running or set a code at all.
The effective repair is to replace the ignition switch (not key cylinder) and double check the bulkhead connector at the firewall.
Look for an ATRA or ATSG certified trans shop. They should have the information on this repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.