2002 ford 4.0L timing chain rattle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2002 ford 4.0L timing chain rattle

2002 vin code E SOHC 4.0L timing rattle. apparently its a common issue with these. there is an updated primary timing set kit for these.

the repair instructions say to pull heads and pan and everything to do this.

really?

why would oyu need to pull the heads for??

this engine doesnt even have 100k on it yet and its rattling loudly. we are hoping to repair his engine rather than replace the entire thing with another that probably will do the same thing

thanks for any info

Issue:

Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0 SOHC (Single Over-Head Cam) engine may exhibit a Primary Timing Chain rattle noise. The noise is audible during hot and cold engine operation (but predominantly found on cold engines) under acceleration, typically at 2400-2500 rpm. To confirm presence of this noise, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000-3000 rpm and listen for rattle noise that sounds similar to spark knock. This may be caused by the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner system.

Action:

Replace the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets with a Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The kit includes an improved Primary Chain Tensioner, as well as updated Primary Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets. Required fasteners, primary timing chain, and front cover gaskets are also included. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Service Procedure:

Verify the condition. Obtain the correct kit and follow the sheet supplied with the kit.

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-AA (balance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x4 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x4 Sport/Sport Trac
-All 02 Explorer/Mountaineer, except engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-BA (non balance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x2 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x2 Sport/Sport Trac
-02 Explorer/Mountaineer with engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA
-All 2001-02 Ranger

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

well, the 4.0L has 2 timing chains.. front and rear. and they can start rattling as soon as 60k miles.. but even the upgraded replacement parts will start to rattle eventually..
to change the rear chain and tensioner, the engine has to come out, and the common fix, is an engine swap to a lower millage engine

you might find this thread helpful if you intend to repair

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=271605
Old 05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

You have to replace the tensioner cassettes. This is a BASTARD job, and the best way is engine removal. I'd look into reman engines, and compare pricing with the engine r&r, dissasembly, reassembly, and all related parts. The reman may be close in price.

To repair the chain issues is nearly 22 hours labour, plus parts, oil change, ect.

Swap a complete engine (not a long block) is 11.8 hrs, plus oil, filter, coolant, ect.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but being a mechanic, I *LOVE* common engines with common problems like this. The engine in question is a pain in the rear to repair, but once I had 2 or 3 under my belt, they seem like cake. The point I am trying to make is that a 4.0L SOHC motor is a boat anchor, good, bad or otherwise because the noise WILL return. BTW, on the passenger side rear of the motor is that side chain, I don't know about the last 6 months, but I know I could NEVER (from Ford or aftermarket) get the "freeze plug" looking timing guide bolt cover, so check on getting that first. Otherwise, it can be removed carefully if you need to reuse it. And yes, either the engine or transmission must be removed to do the rear chain. Usually on 2wd's I will pull trans, 4wd's I'll pull motor (it's just easier).
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

I'll throw one more bone in for ya Just to verify, its not in the torque converter. I would make sure the noise is still present while TCC is at 0 slip. Also, there is an updated trans inspection plate that does do wonders also. 2L2Z-7986-AC. This is for the 5R55W/S transmissions
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM

Last photo:

yeah we just went for anothr engine and put it in and omg its a bastard job just getting these engines in and out

you ever try to get to the upper bellhousing bolts on these?

OMFG yeahhhhhhhh i want you to try and do it

wow,,,, it was insane......

one did not go back in, purposely.

screw all that

that damn engine compartment is exactly as deep as the engine length front to rear, like we had to wedge it past the cowl and radiator to get it out and the other one in

i cannot believe how crazy these trucks are like this, wow,,,, and on the 4x4 ones the engine muunts and brackets for the mounts and the front axle diff housing are the same style as the 90s dodges like the dakotas etc,

wow,,,, fun, i dont want to do another one like ever again,, or at least not for a very long time heh
Old 06-12-2010, 01:17 AM

Last photo:

wel, for the heck of it i decided to strip goodies off the noisy rattling 4.0L we removed, i removed the timing cover and the smaller sized timing or cam shaft or whatever chain it is under there is slacked ALOT

what do you think?
Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Last photo:

the earlier SOHC's are riddled with timing chain problems. both chains go slack and can rattle, tho the rear chain is the most common to cause an issue, and I know of 1 engine that ate the chain and now not running due to a torn up valve train.. best thing to do is just to stay with the OHV vehicles. less HP, but less problems...

I just picked up this '98 Ranger.. 152,000 4.0L 4x4 OHV 5R-55E 5spd auto, loaded, bucket seats, ect. runs like new... all for way less than a 2001+ SOHC. needs some rust repair, but after that's done it'll be nice

even some 2001 Ranger 4.0L's were OHV, but they have to be a very early year '00 build date
Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 AM

Last photo:

im confused about the OHV name

i mean all modern engines are OHV design

whats the deal with that?\

shouldnt it be SOHC or DOHC instead?

i dont know my later model fords very well, and dont like any of them at all, i know the tauruses and sables the best though since we are constantly replacing transmissions in them. and also in the cougars and tbirds with the later modular design engines. the 3.0L seem to be the least problematic later engines, other than most of the modular engines too,,, usually.,,,,

this 4.0L here was rattling loudly in the front for sure, in the front cover area, where i took it apart at today, well yesterday last night, now, haha
Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 AM

Last photo:

all automotive engines have had overhead valves since at least the mid 60's..

Ford used the 4.0L OHV ( pushrod engine ) from 1990 until 2000 and some 2001 Rangers with the 4.0L engine.. the SOHC 4.0l was first introduced into the Explorers as an option in 1998.. all of the SOHC's are the same rotating mass and basic block as the OHV, but because there sort of an 'abomination' of the OHV pushrod engine, the timing chain system was not well designed and it leads to problems. Ford relied on fixes rather than re- engineering..

SOHC engines say 4.0L SOHC right on the top cover, and the OHV's just say 4.0L, and the top covers look diffrent.. Ford also reffers to the pushrod engine as the " 4.0L OHV "
Old 06-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

oh ok i see

weird.,,,, hmm

yeah changes are usualyl trouble, back in the day there were not issues like this., over and over and over again repetitively..... crazy....

thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.