2002 Grand Prix RPM flucuation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 05:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2002 Grand Prix RPM flucuation

hey guys,

my daily driver is a 2002 Grand Prix. the car has 125,000 miles on it. a couple of weeks ago, i started having problems where the rpms would start to flucuate between 1700 and 2200 while i was driving. this only happens for a few seconds after the car is in 4 gear and i am doing around 45-55 mph. then it will run normally, but it will do it again if i slow down a little bit and try to accelerate again. i did a tune up, changed the fuel filter, changed the trans filter and fluid all at 100,000 miles.

i plugged it into my handheld scanner, but it didn't show any faults. i took the car to the trans shop today and they said the trans is fine, it has to be something with the engine.

any ideas ???

thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhead
they said the trans is fine, it has to be something with the engine.

any ideas ???

Because you think this is a engine related issue ... as Moderator I am going to move this thread to the engine area

Deuce ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

take it to a shop that has a good scanner.. drive the car around with them, and have them plug in the scanner, a problem like this has to be a sensor of some sort.. TPS most likely but it almost cant be... could be a failsafe but your CEL would be on then, and you would have a code..
Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
hey guys,

my daily driver is a 2002 Grand Prix. the car has 125,000 miles on it. a couple of weeks ago, i started having problems where the rpms would start to flucuate between 1700 and 2200 while i was driving. this only happens for a few seconds after the car is in 4 gear and i am doing around 45-55 mph. then it will run normally, but it will do it again if i slow down a little bit and try to accelerate again. i did a tune up, changed the fuel filter, changed the trans filter and fluid all at 100,000 miles.

i plugged it into my handheld scanner, but it didn't show any faults. i took the car to the trans shop today and they said the trans is fine, it has to be something with the engine.

any ideas ???

Sounds like the transmission is not staying in OD righ away

Chet
Old 10-12-2008, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

yeah, i thought it was something to do with the overdrive also, that's why i took it to the trans shop this weekend. they insist that there is nothing wrong with the trans. it is puzzling why the check engine light hasn't come on or why it doesn't show any codes when i use the scanner.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
hey guys,

any ideas ???

Check B+ line voltage, if the alternator isn't keeping operating voltage up, the computer will cause the tranny to hunt in and out of converter lock up as well as in and out of overdrive.

On the engine this can be an IAC problem where the idle control motor is hunting for it's proper opening, this is usually the result of a poor or missing road speed sensor input to the computer, this can also be a sign of low B+ voltage. This usually will not set a code. The IAC usually shows as hunting in cruise, or dropped idle speed and stalling when coming to a halt, or as a hesitation when the throttle is opened after coasting down in gear some X amount of mph, then re-accelerating to cruise speed again.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.