2002 Jeep Liberty Misfiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2002 Jeep Liberty Misfiring

My wife's truck shut off on her while driving about a week ago. When I got to her it started but to drive home I had to keep my foot on gas and go to neutral when at a stop. Read the codes and it had a misfire in cylinder 2. Changed cylinder 2 injector, changed all plugs and changed all coils. Changed the muffler as it needed replacing away and the 2 holes in it may have been the reason for the foul plugs.......so I was told. After all that.......the scanner now shows coil A,B,C,D,E as bad and bank 2 sensor 2 circuit heater malfunction. It'll start but only remain running if my foot is on the gas.............

Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

saying that coil a b c d e so on is "Bad" is kinda incorrect. What did the code description say... word for word. The description means something,you need to interpret it correctly.
Also if you were changing coils and had the key on , it would be likely the PCM would register a code for the coils as such: say p0351 Ignition coil circuit "A" fault or short to ground... for example.The wording of the code is important as it determines a type of fault, be it a circuit fault or a misfire fault etcetera.
So write them down word for word, then clear them, drive it for one complete cycle, start cold drive maybe 10 minutes, then re scan. Look at the pending, or one trip codes. Write them down. Post them here.
The B2 S2 heater circuit code will not affect the way it runs. It needs a new O 2 sensor(most likely, but will get into that later).
The coil codes, whatever they are , could have been generated by the repair you performed.You still have the original problem.
Try looking for a vacuum hose that may have degraded and come unhooked, check the PCV valve to be sure it is OK.Look for vacuum leaks anywhere on the engine.
Check for intake leaks by spraying carb cleaner around the area that the intakes mate together, you know where the gasket is. If the engine picks up speed and smooths out when you spray a certain spot, your on top of the problem.
post your findings , well be here.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

P0353......Ignition coil c primary/secondary circuit malfunction,
P0352 for coil B, P0351 for coil A, P0354 for coil D, P0355 for coil E. These codes were read before I changed the coils. Also there sounded like there was a vaccum leak near the engine.......but not anymore. BUT.......the brake pedal now goes all the way to the floor to brake. Brake pedal was just fine before.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Will a clogged converter cause these problems?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by labreejr
P0353......Ignition coil c primary/secondary circuit malfunction,
P0352 for coil B, P0351 for coil A, P0354 for coil D, P0355 for coil E. These codes were read before I changed the coils. Also there sounded like there was a vaccum leak near the engine.......but not anymore. BUT.......the brake pedal now goes all the way to the floor to brake. Brake pedal was just fine before.
If the coil code was described as a primary circuit malfunction, I would say the coil is bad, or has a wiring problem to it. BUT it says primary/secondary circuit malfuntion, which could be one of four things.
primary- could be primary winding shorted or open, or power or ground lead to primary shorted or open.
Secondary- could be the secondary winding shorted or open, or a spark plug shorting out or misfiring.
See there is what I mean, the description shows that 4 things could cause the issue. Which facilitates the need for subsystem testing/checking. Not busting chops just making a point so you get a solid Idea of " How To" diagnose.
Replacing the spark plugs with the EXACT and CORRECT plugs is a MUST.
If it calls for double platinums, then use the D P s.
Spark plugs would have been the place to start. The injector can be checked with an ohmeter to see if it is shorted or open circuit.An ohms test isnt 100 % conclusive every time , but it usually will indicate beyond a doubt if an injector is bad MOST of the time.
The B2S2 sensor , check the fuse to the heater curcuit if any,see if it has blown. That would be a good indicator the sensors heater circuit shorted out. Be sure to check that the sensor wiring isnt shorted to the exhaust or something, then replace it.
O2 sensors are very mystical for people. I look at them as a maintenance Item , like a spark plug. Just change it.They do wear out, and fail.
The brake pedal is new. If the pedal went to the floor beforeall this, it may be the source of a problem.A brake vacuum booster can rupture the vacuum diaphram if the brake pedal goes to the floor. Sounds like the master is going out, or is gone, and might have killed the booster, leaving it a massive vacuum leak. You can check to see if it is the source by plugging the hose to the booster, so you can further diagnose the engine.
Check the brake system for fluid leaks,and if none are found, and the master is full, then replace the master cylinder. Be sure the Booster has been checked first, in case you need both.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.