2002 mustang 4.6 installation in a 1941 ford coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 05:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2002 mustang 4.6 installation in a 1941 ford coupe

Can anyone tell me if I get the harness and computer with the complete engine and transmission out of a 2002 mustang will be all I need to get that engine installed in my 41 coupe. I have heard people talk about some kind of keys that may be needed. Any of you guys down with all this new stuff your help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2003, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

4.6 in 41 Ford

If possible, go for buying a wrecked one and get all the harness etc, work a deal with the yard to buy back the car after you get what you need. Some will give you a lot better deal that way.
Dont know of any special keys required to put out the computer wiring system.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

The keys I think you are refering to would be the "PATS" keys. Thats the ign. key with a transmitter built into it. No one can duplicate your key and use it to start your car unless it has been programmed into your PCM. A sensor is built into the lock cylinder housing that sees the programmed key. Only a dealer can program in the keys with Ford only programming equipment.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:28 AM

So I guess what you are saying is that I dont really need these keys. The PCM can probably be reprogrammed to get rid of this problem.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:41 AM

The keys have a coded chip in them to match the on board computer, no match no start.

Fill
Old 08-12-2003, 02:40 PM

Does anyone know of a way to disable this or a way to make it work in my 41?
Mike
Old 08-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

At the time I left the Ford L/M dealership 3 years ago, there was not an option to disable the PATS system by reprogramming the PCM. If a key wasnt programmed into PCM the car would not start. That may have changed, you would have to contact your ford or L/M dealership service dept and ask. The problem I have with these systems is if you lose a key on the weekend, or change your PCM...... you gotta problem till you can get to a shop with the tools to reprogram the PCM. At the time when I was doing that, there was a 45 minuite delay built into the reprograming tool (NGS) so nobody could get a key made real quick and use it to steal the car (government regulations) and the shop charged for the time used to sit and wait for the reprogramming!!! Dont get me wrong, its not impossible, but its just a little easier to use non OBD II electronics from 94 and earlier cars. (EEC IV)

There is always the option of removing the transponder from the key (about an 1/16 inch black plastic square on the top of the key), and glue it to the receiver ring in the lock cylinder. Then it would be permanently attached to the system and if you had to reprogram the the PCM it would already be there. You could then have standard keys made for your car.

Last edited by 2-manytoyzs; 08-13-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:42 PM

I have done a lot of research on the PATS system. Does anyone know if the transponder in the key talks directly to the computer or is there intermdiate circuitry in the dash that sends the ok to the computer? When I bought this engine I got the computer and all harness's that pertain to the engine. I was thinking that I could remover the transponder from the key and hardwire it so its always present. Then I could use a regular key and the computer would be satisfied.

Thanks,
Mike

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.