Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2002 S-10 transmission problems

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  shee4202 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2002 s10 and I'm experiencing the same exact problem and from my research many other people have to. I keep hearing it's the ignition switch, so I changed my ignition switch but I'm still getting this problem. It's not all the time only here and there. When it happens I pull over and turn the truck on and off a few times and for some reason it seems to work and I'm not even sure if that is working or if its a fluke.

What are the chances that the switch I got was a faulty switch?

The only other thing that I can think of is I have my remote start system hooked to a few wires on the switch. But if hooking into the switch wires were the problem I cant see the tranny working here and there like it does, you'd think it just would work at all.

I really need some help with this guys any ideas? Get another swich?

#2 ·
I split out your post on your specific problem. Adding on to an existing thread with a similar problem, the new member does not receive proper answers.

Please describe in some more detail your exact problem so the members can help you.

:thumbup:

#3 ·
Throwing tranny codes.

Well, basically I'm throwing a few codes:

p0740- torque converter clutch circuit

p0785- shift/timing solenoid

p1860- solenoid circuit electrical

After I clear the codes they seem to keep pending. This doesn't happen constantly but at least once a day when I go to take off from a stopped position I have to have the pedal almost to the floor just to get it moving. It's seeming like when it does act up I'm missing 1st and OD. At this point I pull over and clear codes, even if there is none to clear, and then turn the truck on and off a few times. It seems to act normal again after that.

After doing some research I found someone having the same exact issue and throwing the same codes. He changed the ignition switch and it worked. It seemed to work for several other people as well.

I change the ignition switch and its still doing what it was doing, which is exactly how the people in my research were explaining it.

Do you think that the ignition switch that I put in was faulty? I can't really see there being anything wrong with the tranny because when its not acting up, it's working fine.

#5 ·
Sounds like a wiring problem or a shorted solenoid inside the trans. The wiring runs down the back of the engine over the top of the trans and it could have come loose from the harness retainers, at which point it may have melted on the exhaust. I would inspect the wiring first.
Then you can ohm out the solenoids. You will have to obtain a diagram of the trans circuitry so you can check the solenoids.
Being that the The problem sounds intermittent, ohming the solenoids may or may not prove anything. Intermittent troubles like yours makes me lean towards a wiring problem anyhow. Look around for bare or melted wiring .
Might also be a good Idea to check the plug at the trans, unplug it and inspect it. Maybe it is full of water/corrosion

#6 ·
The chance of the new switch being faulty is rather slim but the connector to the switch could be bad and you'd still have the same problem. If you haven't figured it out by LATECH's and S10 Racer's suggestions, I'd take a good look at the connector for overheated, loose or an otherwise bad connector or wiring.

Good luck.

#7 ·
What I noticed today. When I put it into gear, it went into gear rough and it was acting up (I had to have the pedal just about to the floor to get moving), like its been doing. I stopped and put it in park. It wasn't showing any codes but it did have codes pending, which were the codes I mentioned above. I cleared the codes anyway and then everything was working fine.

The only thing that I'm thinking now is the connections at the ignition switch that I made for the remote start system. The thing about that is that the install instructions instruct to connect to these wires at the switch, but I used them cheap little quick connectors instead of soldering. Could there just be a weak connection at these points causing less power to run thru them?

#8 ·
If the remote start was at fault, it would act up when you use the remote feature. It could power up the ignition circuitry to get the car running, but if the trans power circuit does not power up untill you get in the vehicle and actually turn on the key, then it is possible.
Your car probably has 3 ignition power circuits that are all isolated from each other when the key is off. If the remote unit doesnt power up all of them, it is possible that codes could be generated and the trans could go into default mode.
Chances are that is not what is happening, although it is a remote (no pun intended) possibility.

If the problem occurs every time you use the remote start, then it may be the trouble.
If it happens without using the remote start, then the remote module wiring in question probably isnt the issue.
You can unplug the remote module, and then try it for a day, to see if the problem still occurs. That would help you rule it out.
It could be a wiring problem like I said, it could also be the wiring inside the transmission.

#9 ·
I took it all apart to check the connections and noticed a couple of the wire threads at the connection we're cut I'm not sure if this would make any difference but I went and bought a new ignition switch and im going to try it again without them quick connections I'm going to solder the wires for the remote start on instead of using quick connectors this is also going to tell me if it was a ignition switch or not so it will be a nice connection all the way through if the problem persists I'm going to unplug the remote start and run it for a day I cant see it be anything wrong with the transmission I parked it for over year and before I parked it everyrhing ran fine I just started driving it recently and I notice a problem

#10 ·
I think that I figured it out. I spoke with the crutchfield tech. today, the one who helped me install the remote start system. Seems that I missed a wire. Before he told me that there was no ignition 2 wire. Today he looked over the diagrams again for my truck and found that there is a ignition 2 wire (white). I asked if not hooked up, would it throw tranny codes and he said it would. So I hooked it up and so far so good.

Before I was either getting tranny codes on the "service engine light" or I was getting pending codes. After making the change I immediately checked for codes. There were none showing and none pending. I'm thinking that that did the trick. I hope at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.