2002 Silverado, 4L60e, No movement in any gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2002 Silverado, 4L60e, No movement in any gear

I have a 2002 silverado v8 5.3L pickup with the 4l60e transmission. I Just replaced it 2 years ago with a lifetime warranty. I recently had a rattling noise coming from under the truck and it turned out to be the flexplate/flywheel. I unbolted the transmission and rolled it back one foot on a transmission jack. I replaced the flexplate and rolled the transmission back into place. It went in without any problems. I stated the truck and the flexplate was working fine. There was no weird noises or anything coming from under the truck. I put the truck in drive and it wont move. It only rolls. Its as if the truck is in neutral in all gears except for park. The park works. It doesn't feel like its slipping its just not in gear at all. This is a new transmission and I did not in anyway harm it while I was installing the flexplate (at least I hope I didn't). I checked the fluids with the truck off and on and the oil does go down while its on. I also check all the electrical connections. I checked the linkage as well and it seems to be functioning as well. What could this be? Ive heard its either the TC or the Fuel pump. I don't think its the fuel pump for the simple fact that I did not put any stress on the transmission while I was working on it.

Also, there was a forum on this exact website with a 2002 blazer about 3-4 months ago with the same exact problem. I believe it was under the same title I have on this question (no movement in any gear). Either way, can anyone please help me. I need my truck up and running really soon. Its my work truck and I need it back on the road pronto. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

If the check engine light is on try clearing the codes. It may be in fail safe mode .Did you put the flex plate to torque converter bolts in ?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Fuel pump has nothing to do with the transmission.

Is it possible the flex plate was incorrect?

is the truck a 4x4 and the transfer case is not engaged?

Have you checked for pressure from the port near the shift linkage on drivers side? Just above the shift linkage on trans case.

Converter slide out of the trans some and not corrected before the trans was bolted back up?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Ill check the port near the shift linkage. As far as the check engine light.....it is not on and for the possiblity of the TC sliding out I do believe that is possible. If that is the case, what broke or what needs to be fixed?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:11 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR PANELS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballar55
Ill check the port near the shift linkage. As far as the check engine light.....it is not on and for the possiblity of the TC sliding out I do believe that is possible. If that is the case, what broke or what needs to be fixed?
If the convertor slid out, you would have noticed it tough to line up the flex plate to converter bolt holes. Was that the case or did the convertor spin freely when bolting together?

If so, you probably trashed the pump.
I did this on a TH350.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:

You need a pressure gauge. 0 - 300 psi is best. Thread that into the port near the linkage

As mentioned , if the converter slid out some and you do not properly re-install the converter into the pump, the internals of the pump are damaged. The rotor , vanes, slide are parts that would have been damaged.

The pump is not a DIY friendly repair. You need to know what - where - how to perform the pump repair if needed.

A pressure gauge check will tell everything here I suspect

Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 AM

It was not difficult lining up the Flexplate to TC bolts. If the pump did get damaged wouldn't I have heard something break? I was laying under the truck when we fired it up and I didn't hear anything.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
It was not difficult lining up the Flexplate to TC bolts. If the pump did get damaged wouldn't I have heard something break? I was laying under the truck when we fired it up and I didn't hear anything.

not necessarily lots of noise if you broke the pump on the trans.

Here is my view on what you posted:

You said;

the converter bolted up fine. No check engine lite 'on'

You did not mess with anything else on the trans , cept to replace the flexplate.

Since the engine starts, the flexplate must be OK at that end

So: you either broke the pump , not enough fluid in the trans, shift linkage not working, drive shaft not hooked up.

You do not mention a 4x4 truck, I guess the transfer case would not be a problem.

A pressure check as mentioned earlier, would be next step for me , unless you tow the truck to a shop.

Last edited by Crosley; 12-26-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:45 AM

Last photo:

Tranmissions Pressure Testers

Trans Pressure Testers:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/atd-5550.html

Many have free S/H at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ster&x=13&y=10
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM

What would be the recommended pressure?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

you will see various psi readings in different gears. You want minimum of 60 psi in P , N

Reverse will be higher.

PSI reading should increase with throttle application
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Most common problem would be that the converter slipped out of the pump (only takes about 1/4"). If that's the case, I wish I had better news... the pump was trashed the instant you touched the starter.

Noise is not necessarily a side effect of this. It only takes a very brief moment to toast the slots, at which point there is little or no pump motion = no noise. where you typically get pump noise is when the pump teeth are actually failing. If you didn't have the TC fully installed, it would just strip the drive slot and then you wouldn't hear anything.

I also agree... pressure test. For starters, skip the gauge. Just open the port and crank the engine. Its OK to let it run for a few seconds this way. You should get a heavy stream of fluid almost instantly. If you get no fluid or just a slow pour, then you know there is a pressure problem.

Little or no flow = problem
Lots of flow = needs more in-depth pressure testing to confirm.

That way, it saves you the time and money of purchasing the gauge up front. Kinda like sticking your thumb over a spark plug hole to test compression. It won't tell you how much pressure is in there, but its a starting point if you have no pressure

Last edited by curtis73; 12-28-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Thanks everyone for your inputs. It was the converter that slid out of place while bolting up the transmission. I just got it fixed. I replaced the pump & converter. Everythings fine now. Thanks again for everything.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.