2003 chevy 6.0 or1976 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

2003 chevy 6.0 or1976 350

i got a 350 out of a 1976 vette not the good one basic 350 i was going to rebuild but i want in the end to have MPI . So i started to think about the 6.0 vortec i need a tranny for both fuel source for both wiring for both .Im not to big on add on MPI setups but guys say theres some good ones.So i would like you guys opinion on which way you would go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I agree with you about the MPI system approach. I do think one of the things that make them work is the hydro roller cam's profile and the heads being used.If you look at the Fast conversion kits like I did,I think you'll find it will nickel dime you to death.Well here is a fast ref:

EFI For Every Guy - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

As I have consistently said,read between the lines on fan based articles like this one.It is just a fast ref for you to look at.

So with your 1976 350 your looking at a substantial cost to convert it the right way to a roller cam,then heads,then the MPI,then a VSS trans.................

The LSx engines on a single purchase from a donor vehicle you can have it all along with the wiring harness and computer. And the LSx engines are a proven performer. I've heard the 6.0's are gas hogs,but I can't confirm that.I guess my gut feeling is you don't have to go big or go home with the LSx series engines.The 5.3 or 4.9's are not a bad deal.Stroker kits for them are pricey,but like the first series engines it is a way to tap into the power output.Here is a ref to the LSx engines:

2011 Stroker Engine Guide: Unlocking LS Stroker Engine Potential: Engine Builder

And alittle bit on intakes for them too:

Modern Intake Manifold With Vintage Looks: Engine Builder

For the 350 I do think one of the best systems going is the Edelbrock Pro-Flow.But it is very expensive.

So my suggestion is go LSx. A very close engine builder friend of mine said the costs of a good 383,496 BBC,and a decent LSx is very much alike.I do think that is true.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Gary For This Useful Post:
lmar1171 (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I don't know what your budget is, but my younger brother put a

Ramjet 350 crate engine into his little 93 GMC K1500 styleside.

The computer is included, and it runs like a champ ... very impressive!
If I had it all to do again, I would probably have gone this route as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Old & Furious

Well i would get a junk yard LS motor swap kit. Usally they sell them with the wiring harness and computer. Also sometimes come with the transmission. My local junk yard usally has a few of them laying around.

Rebuilding the stock engine will net you all the power of most efi systems. Gas milage will go up with the change in tranmission. Even the best mpi system will get bad milage with a th350 or four speed. A 6 speed or th700r4 will help mpg alot. Efi and newer trans will make even better mpg but much morw work than stock rebuild.

The original engine should have good heads and 4 bolt mains. So i would not call it a bad motor just cause is came with a gas milage cam from the factory higher compression and better cam will wake that engine right up.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would go with the late 6.0 and the od trans that came with it..Much better in the end I think..Even though there is some work sorting out the computer and wiring harness..much better if you can find a whole donor truck but those are out there..try craigslist for one of those..

gas mileage is a function of gearing and your right foot as much as anything..

Sam
Old 12-02-2012, 10:57 AM

considering an LS-3 can make 480 hp ,have a smooth idle and get good mileage,using stock parts? a 6 liter truck engine stock can make 330 hp and get great gas mileage with stock parts,,,seems the most versatile.

5.3 is even cheaper and it makes 315 HP for around a grand complete
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM

im sorry when you say go with the 6.0 late you mean 98-05 and the tranns to match would that be like a 2003 savana 3500
Old 12-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

When I talk about a donor,I'd not talking about you finding a pick and pull that has one.I'm talking about you going to like a impound auction and buying a donor you take home to strip.Then turning in for scrap to get some of the money back of what you don't use.That alone can be as high as $300 bucks.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Old & Furious

A donor car spunds great but any car or truck that new will be expensive and if its beat up then the engine is too.

Most junk yards will pull most ls engines when they come in wrecked and not broken. A car hit from behind will yeild a strong engine and front clip junk yard will process right away and trash the rest. At my local they have them lined up agaist the wall as you walk in with wireing harness and computer on top.

Last time i was in they had a camero engine and a big truck engine and a newer corvette motor but they wanted big bucks for that one. Other two were cheap. Also had a rack of 6 speeds ready to go and offered to toss in a new clutch with the deal.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 AM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
A donor car spunds great but any car or truck that new will be expensive and if its beat up then the engine is too.

Most junk yards will pull most ls engines when they come in wrecked and not broken. A car hit from behind will yeild a strong engine and front clip junk yard will process right away and trash the rest. At my local they have them lined up agaist the wall as you walk in with wireing harness and computer on top.

Last time i was in they had a camero engine and a big truck engine and a newer corvette motor but they wanted big bucks for that one. Other two were cheap. Also had a rack of 6 speeds ready to go and offered to toss in a new clutch with the deal.
Thanks how does someone like me get in touch with the place your talking about . we dont have places like that around hear
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmar1171 View Post
Thanks how does someone like me get in touch with the place your talking about . we dont have places like that around hear
Where do you live. Lots of junk yards specialize in engine swaps and internet sales. Best to do a search and see whats in your local area. Shipping can be an issue if the junk yard does not want to deal with it.

Also do you have a ocal junk yard? They can usally order one from another juk yard but you got to show up in lerson if you want to get them to do a search.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Car-part.com is the place to search for late model parts. tha tis the wrecking yard interchange..

Sam

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.