2004 4L60E; Questions. School me! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2004 4L60E; Questions. School me!

My 2004 Silverado has a fuel injected Small Block Chevy in it, mated to the trucks original 4L60E

I am battling all of the fuel injection woes that go with swapping an engine into a truck it never came with. My engine is stuck in open loop with MIL codes saying bank 1 & 2 oxygen sensors aren't responding.

And I have a feeling the codes are keeping the PCM in a drivable "limp" mode, yet are preventing the function of the PWM & TCC solenoids.

I have the TCC solenoid on a manual toggle just to lock the TC at cruise to keep trans temps down.

However I am unsure of the the PWM solenoid. I am assuming that the PCM "limp mode" that's preventing the TCC to lock also prevents the PWM solenoid from doing it's thing?

How would a 4L60E trans act without the PWM solenoid, would it feel like excessive transmission slippage until the TCC locked? My engine will rev right up to the 3200 stall of the converter before begining to accelerate with any torque. Yet today, I think my PCM temporarily pulled out of this limp mode and the truck drove better than it ever has. Tons of torque, it didnt excessivly rev before beginning to move, the shift felt nice & strong and it was great. Than the flashing MIL came back with the O2 codes and the trans began to do it's old thing.

Does it sound like I'm on the right path?

Cheers ~Mykk

Advertisement

Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 11-25-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Do you still have the MAF from the 2004 hooked up, with no air leaks between it and the throttle body? Also since the O'2 sensors are not responding, can you tell if it is too rich, or too lean?

I would think it is too rich, not allowing it to go into closed loop. I have found the MAF to be a cause of this, along with the coolant temp sender.

Check all of your sensor ground wires, to make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the input. The MAF is still hooked up, not triggering any MAF codes and I can watch the flow rate via my scanner. The MAF & ECT sensors appear to be functioning just fine.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SilveradoMykk
Thanks for the input. The MAF is still hooked up, not triggering any MAF codes and I can watch the flow rate via my scanner. The MAF & ECT sensors appear to be functioning just fine.
There is one 'key' word in your statement that causes people to overlook some sensors, "appear". They may 'appear' to be functioning just fine, only because they are still sending a signal to the PCM, and not setting a code for themselves. Here is an example, a dirty MAF will not set a code for itself, but you will see the codes P0171, or P0174, or both, bank 1, or bank 2, or both banks running too lean. Common sense tells you to check fuel pressure, and volume, along with checking for any vacuum leaks, or exhaust leaks prior to the O'2 sensors.

One miss leading case in point, was a 1997 Ford Explorer 4.0L, with these same 2 codes had a dirty MAF. I cleaned it and the engine smoothed out, so the customer took it on a recommended drive, to get enough of the monitors to set as ready. He came back, and said it ran better up hill but still had the same codes. So I took a fuel pressure, and volume test, and put a fuel filter in it. During the removal of the fuel pressure adapter, I dropped it, and had to unbolt the coil pack to retrieve it. After completing the repairs it started up with multiple miss fire codes pointing to the coil pack. He had called his daughter to pick him up so they could go to lunch, and while he was gone I replaced the battery cable ends which were corroded. We had discussed this repair for a later date. He admitted it needed these repairs, and took it back on the same drive. He came back and said at ran great with no check engine light, and took it back to the smog only shop, it passed this time. All because of the battery cable connections.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.