Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   2004 Hemi V.S. 2004 R/T (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/2004-hemi-v-s-2004-r-t-26182.html)

Adrenaline_Fiend 10-20-2003 11:14 PM

2004 Hemi V.S. 2004 R/T

OK, this thread isn't even 1/2 as cool as I made it sound, but it's still kind of cool. I never post here about my Strat R/T cause' it's not exactly american muscle, but my other forum has a kill section where you can post about current drag races and I figured I'd share this one over here.

Well this last weekend I was at the usual illeagal drags here in Boise and there was a car salesman in his 20's who worked at the local dealership. The dealership let him drive an 04 HEMI ram for the weekend to let the public see it and want to buy one. Anyways, all night his brother (who drove a 90's talon, WOOHOO! ) kept telling him to race my R/T just because it would be cool, not to mention the whole aura of what's in a name. The HEMI v.s. The R/T, just sounds really cool, plus they're both 04's. So by the end of the night, and after I beat a few cars, not to mention my buddies 95 Mustang GT(whole different story+high mileage car, not bragging) he says Ok. So we line up, and everybody out there is like, that R/T is gonna get smoked! He dosn't stand a chance! That truck is gonna kill him! etc. I wasn't even going to be ****y in the least bit, because I thought the HEMI ram's were was faster then the R/T's. So there I was....we staged, stalled them up, and screeeeeech we were off! I pulled by a few feet when I grabbed traction and started to pull a bit, then by second gear he started to pull forward by me. Midway through 2nd, I was looking at his passenger door, then my car started getting top end and I went into 3rd as I began passing him. I hit 4th right before the 1/4 and beat him by like a fender length!!!!!!! Ok I know 1. Maybe he couldn't drive 2. Maybe it was the traction 3. you get the idea. I know that there is a big chance that that HEMI should've beat me, but hey a win is a win! I talked to the guy and he said that it was an automatic and that he couldn't make it shift at high enough RPM's, and I do have a 5speed, but he was cool and gave me some credit for hitting my shifts just right. All the ricers were amazed, and for the night my car got all the attention of a car that really is fast. HA! little do they know it runs, maybe 15's. Too the local ricer's 15's is like a 12 or 13 second car is too us, though. Earlier that night I whooped an extended cab 5.9L R/T ram or dakota sumthin, I don't know if they're quick, but it was another win that sounded cool.

So, yeah my lowly Stratus R/T beat a HEMI. I know these aren't super fast cars, but I am just happy that I got one chance in my lifetime to say I raced a HEMI and beat it.:thumbup: Being the chevy guy that I am, it made me giggle:D

Kaylah 10-21-2003 03:47 AM

If you beat a Ford Lightning, you're beating the fastest production model pickup on the road. Try giving one of those a whirl. Sounds like you have a hot ride...it would be a good race then. If you do, let us know how it turns out.

Centerline 10-21-2003 06:49 AM

Interesting comparison. A small light weight performance car against a relatively heavy full sized truck. Kind of like racing an 18 wheeler and a diesel pickup. Gee I wonder who would win....

Everyone thinks the Dodge 5.7 hemis are "hot" trucks and for trucks they are. Actually against your Stratus I think he did very well. However, I'd like to see you do the same thing against one of the new Dodge SRT 10s. Now THAT is a performance truck.

Ford's Lightning is also a performance vehicle (notice I didn't say truck) that is fast as hell, but totally useless when it comes to anything else. Ford may think its a truck but when the average rice burner can haul more weight (four passengers plus luggage) than the Lightning is rated for (under 700 lbs load capacity) I say it doesn't qualify as a truck, it just happens to look like one. :mad:

Centerline
03 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com

Kaylah 10-21-2003 10:14 AM

I will respectfully have to disagree with you about certain things, Centerline. The Lightning is a TRUCK.

It has a "Payload" capacity of 1350lbs, about average for any 1/2 ton pickup.

It has a towing capacity of 5,000lbs. Not too bad. I would venture this could out-tow any Japanese vehicle including pickups.

I do agree that it is definitely "fast as hell".

When it comes to pickups, NOBODY can top Ford. Everything else are merely Tonka Toys.:evil:

Centerline 10-21-2003 11:14 AM

I stand corrected. The Lightning has come a long way from its first introduction when its hauling capacity was just 745 pounds.

That said, the Lightning does come up short on load capacity when compared to other "real" trucks though. The Dodge Ram 1500 2WD has a load capacity of between 1700 and 1850 pounds and a maximum towing capacity of 8600 lbs with just the basic 4.7 V8 and the Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD has a load capacity of 1970 pounds and a towing capacity of between 6500 and 7500 pounds with their basic V8. This means when you compare the Lightning to the competition's basic 1/2 ton small V8 models it comes up short on what a truck is really designed to do. It does on the other hand excel at what a sports car is designed to do.

Therefore what is it? .... its a very fast sports car that just happens to look like a truck. I haven't seen the specs yet on the new SRT 10 and for all I know that may fall into the same category. :)

Centerline

willys36@aol.com 10-21-2003 11:22 AM

What's an RT?

Centerline 10-21-2003 11:32 AM

SRT 10

Centerline

Kaylah 10-21-2003 11:56 AM

I think its all elementary anyway. Who buys a SRT with some 500 HP to haul wood or tow a camper anyhow...same goes for Lightning. Although, I am wondering about what the hemi option in the truck was intended for anyhow since I have heard that the low-end performance is not up to par. I think the automakers like to have this "specialty vehicle" marketing strategy to allure the trucker wannabees by dangling a few extra HP goodies.

I think if you compare "duty" trucks to "duty" trucks, you get a better picture. The SRT-10, Hemi, and Lightning are not "officially" classified in the Dodge and Ford "bread and butter" truck line-ups. I'd be willing to bet the SRT would wail on the Lightning, with two extra cylinders and 130 extra horspower, it would be rediculous if it would loose.

(Edit: I think the Lightning compares to the equivalent of a Dakota, which in my book makes it a Tonka Toy too! And I don't consider the new "Rangers" as trucks either. These little guys are cute and all, but when you say "truck", I always think of "full-size".)

Centerline 10-21-2003 12:54 PM

I agree.

Centerline

Kaylah 10-21-2003 05:49 PM

Hey Willys...I think the "R/T" the original poster was talking about is a beefed up version of the Dodge Stratus, it has a turbo 4-banger and actually is a pretty respectable piece of steel. Dodge now makes a similar version of the Neon and they call it an "R/T". Though they may be fast little MOPARS (or should I say Benzs'), but they are a far scream from the Coronets, Chargers, Super Bees, Challengers and the other muscle "R/T's" we all know and love.

willys36@aol.com 10-21-2003 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaylah
Hey Willys...I think the "R/T" the original poster was talking about is a beefed up version of the Dodge Stratus, it has a turbo 4-banger and actually is a pretty respectable piece of steel. Dodge now makes a similar version of the Neon and they call it an "R/T". Though they may be fast little MOPARS (or should I say Benzs'), but they are a far scream from the Coronets, Chargers, Super Bees, Challengers and the other muscle "R/T's" we all know and love.
That makes more sense!! I couldn't imagine a truck with a 500hp V10 being surprised it beat a medium sized V8, even if it is a hemi. As you may have gathered, I know virtually nothing about modern autos. Since the early 80s, they all look the same to me! Basically upside-down bathtubs w/ transaxles. The only way I can see that anyone tells them apart is how they designed the rubber trim covering the glue joint at the belt line. There are a couple of exceptions - Chrysler has produced several unique out-of-the-box designs and Ford trucks are so butt-ugly you can't miss them!

Adrenaline_Fiend 10-21-2003 06:34 PM

Wow! I leave for like a month and everybody gets hostile like I'm a troll or somethin'. Ok, please allow me to clarify. My R/T is a 2004 Stratus R/T. It is basically a Mistubishi Eclipse. It has a Mitsubishi 3.0L naturally aspirated V-6 rated at 200hp, is built at the Mitsubishi plant, and has the Eclipse suspension. It is NOT a "fast" car, but rather quick for modern standards of the everyday driver; hence the reason I do not ever post anything about it here. You can see a pic or two of it in my album. I just thought it was a fun race and sounded cool "2004 Hemi vs 2004 R/T". I even stated that it wasn't as cool as it sounded. I know that all the new mopars are cofusing with the R/T's, the SRT's, and the HEMI. I also understand that the HEMI ram is not a performance vehicle, but I still thought it would out run my little 2-door. I confused the SRT-10 specs with the HEMI ram's specs when we lined up to race. Regardless, it was all in fun, just like every other race we have out there. Let me throw a blower and a posi unit on my nova, and I will gladly race an SRT-10 or a Lightning any day of the week. By the way, thank you guys for hijacking this thread:thumbup:

Gen3_with_455 10-21-2003 06:56 PM

Centerline 10-21-2003 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Adrenaline_Fiend
Wow! I leave for like a month and everybody gets hostile like I'm a troll or somethin'.
No big deal. I think we're all in agreement in this thread anyway.

a. The Dodge hemi is a hot truck.
b. The Ford Lightning is lightning fast.
c. The SRT 10 is overkill.
And last but not least, your R/T is faster than a full sized Hemi Ram.

No sweat. :thumbup:

Centerline

bud-23 10-21-2003 08:18 PM

Take away 2 cylinders from the SRT and let the Ford tow it back to the Dodge dealer! My .02