Hot Rod Forum banner

2004 Silverado electric speedometer

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with their electric speedometer in their GM vehicles? The factory speedometer in my 2004 Silverado goes crazy when the temperature drops below 40 degrees. Above 40 degrees or so ... no problems. The odometer works like it should even when the speed indication is off. The speedometer is usually high by 30 to 40 MPH ... when it goes crazy.

When the temperature is above 40 degrees ... the speedometer works as it should. I do not want to have to move to Miami ... to have a accurate speedometer :)

Thanks in advance

Deuce

#4 ·
I bought the Silverado new ... so I know it has not been replaced. But I am over the 75,000 mile mark now :mad:

I did not get the recall notice :confused:

Thanks jetnow1 ... for the info

Deuce

#6 · (Edited)
We didn't get a recall notice either on our 04 Tahoe. The speedo just slowly quit working, then the tach. Took it in under GM Extended protection plan (60,000 miles) and the service writer told me of the recall. I would take it in anyway and raise hell. That speedo/gage cluster is about $800 I was told.

No part number was listed on the repair receipt I have, just says "Replaced & programmed instrument cluster as per special policy"

Vince

#7 ·
My 04 is at 112 thousand ... ( 5 trips to California from here in the Carolinas ... and staying out west for a few weeks each trip ) ... adds up.

I will go speak with my dealer ... I have bought 5 or 6 new cars/trucks from him. Almost bought a new 08 about a month ago ... but he could not find a 08 with the equipment I want. He thinks I am going to order a 09 ... so he may bend the rules a little ;)

Thanks for ALL the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.