2004R Questions On Rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2004R Questions On Rebuild

Hi,
In a previous post I had asked about rebuilding a 2004R transmission. I have received a lot of tips and advise. Thanks again to everyone for all the responses. The other thread was getting quite long so I thought I'd start another now that the build is under way.

So far I have the transmission disassembled and am in the process of cleaning and inspecting all the components. Everything looks great with the exception of the direct drum. The outside is perfect. The area I am concerned with is in the bore where the rings seal. The area where the 2 deepest rings (furthest from center support) are perfectly smooth. The one closest to the support seems to have worn into the bore about .002 deep. The groove is smooth and starts at the taper that helps the rings enter the bore a goes into the bore about 1/8" (the thickness of ring). I have heard that the bore can be honed with a brake hone. Is this possible, and if so would .002 leave the bore to large to seal properly or should I just get a new/rebuilt one from the supply house?

Thanks again to all.
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Replace it. Good sleep insurance.
That way you don't need an s kicking tree in the back yard.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

If it is truly only .002, which should barely be detectable with your fingernail, I would hone it.

You can use 4L80-E solid teflon seals here for a better seal.

I usually hone them just to see defects. No problem with taking a small amount of material out, and it will come out fast even with a light brake hone.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

.002 can be easliy honed out.... problem is after you start honing... the groove suddenly looks & is waaay worse.

A replacement may be needed as stu has pointed out.

and..... this is a common wear pattern of the 2004r
Old 01-25-2005, 07:56 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the input. I decided to try honing the groove out last night. I figured that I might as well try it. If it didn't work I lost nothing. After about 1 minute of honing the groove is almost gone. I stopped at that. I think I will do some more tonight and get the rest out. Is there a max ID for the bore that I shouldn't go over?

As for the teflon center support rings, I might give that a try. That seems to be another one of those items that there are several opinions on.

What about the input (turbine) shaft and fwd drum (inter. shaft) o-rings? I have seen where some are using the solid rings in place of the scarf cut. Any opinions on this? Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Mike
Old 01-28-2005, 08:01 PM

Hi,
I thought I'd let everyone know how it was going. After honing the groove out of the direct drum I became concerned over some small bumps on the splines where the clutches ride. According to the video this is OK as long as they are small and your finger nail doesn't catch on them. This was the case with mine, but being unsure I went to the parts house to have a look at a rebuilt drum. The first 2 were no better than mine but the 3rd one was perfect so I bought it. I know the guy there thought I was a PITA. Mine probably would have been fine, but as stu said, its good sleep insurance. I also picked up some 4L80E teflon center support rings to try. They didn't carry the solid input shaft rings separately, only in kits, so I'll use the scarf cut ones I have. Tomorrow I will do a final inspection of all the parts and start assembly. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help on this project.
Mike
Old 01-30-2005, 04:53 PM

Hi,
Things are going together nicely. I have most of my sub assemblies put together, bushings installed etc. I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get answered from some of the experienced guys so I can continue on.

The first thing is about a bushing in the center support. Its the one that is toward the front of the tranny. The one that is deeper in the bore. Anyway, how far in does this bushing go? The original was all the way in where it bottoms against a tapered section of the bore. I noticed it was covering a feed hole of some sort. I was unsure if I should drive it all the way down as the original or leave it where the hole would be open? Any advise on this is appreciated.

The second item is how to properly measure the direct clutch pack clearance? If I put a feeler gauge between the snap ring and the pressure plate I get about .048. If I spread my fingers out and put just light pressure on the plate I get about .055.
What is the proper method to check this clearance?

Thanks again for your help.
Mike
Old 01-30-2005, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Any oil distribution holes should be open.
You should be ok with the clutch clearance.
max is about .059
You are soaking the fibre plates in fluid right?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:19 PM

Hi stu,
Thanks for the response. I am soaking the clutches in fluid. I was a bit concerned that the original bushing was too far in. Even though it was that far in, and covering most of the hole,you could still feel air being blown through the passage. I thought it was rather unusual that a hole would be covered by a bushing though. I feel better about where I placed the new bushing now. I drove it in, just to the edge of the hole, and stopped until I could find out where it should be. Thanks again for the advise.
Mike

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.