2004R Speedo Gear Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2004R Speedo Gear Question

This question pertains to a 2004R with a speed sensor, rather than a cable. The transmission has a hydraulic (control) problem, probably to do with an assembly error. I'm preparing to install a kit from CK to include a new valve body, govenor, 1-2 servo, and other items, basically shotgunning the underside. In preparation, I'm doing some disassembly and I see something with the gear for the speed sensor that I want to ask about, wondering if the builder (who obviously got some things wrong) left something out.
The transmission casting seems to have a pocket, or socket of sorts that the top of the sensor gear can fit nicely into if the gear is slid to the left along the sensor shaft, only, there is no means to hold it into that position, the gear can easily be slid along the sensor shaft, towards the sensor, and completely come out of that pocket. Should there be a bushing or spacer on the shaft to hold the gear into place, or is it normal that the gear should have so much walking room side to side?? Put another way, the absolute only parts I found in this section are the sensor and a plastic gear. Two parts only. No bushings, clips, clamps, or gizmos. Perhaps the gear on the gov. stabilizes the speedo sensor gear sufficiantly?? Thanks to anyone who has some experience with the non-cable type 2004R and can give some input. BTW, I wanted the upgrade parts anyway, so if my failure to shift problem is not corrected, nothing lost, its just off to a reputable builder.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

If you're talking about the Driven gear that fits in the Bullet/housing, yes the Governor Drive gear will keep it in place.
Driven gear meshs with small part of Drive gear>>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004R Gov Cover 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	47512  
Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

Yes, it's a plastic gear on the shaft of the electronic speed sensor; it's driven by the govenor. It fits loosely on its shaft, but is keyed so it can't slip rotationally. Sounds like its ok for this gear to be able to slide back and fourth (quite a bit) along the shaft of the sensor. I suppose it's stabilized by the gear it's to mesh with (govenor). Just seems a little strange to me that in its installed position, the sensor gear, I believe, can run all over the place left to right. I think the transmission was rebuilt by an amateur and I was worried something may have been left out. I realize now, this "pocket" in the casting I referred before may be to accomodate a cable in some manner (the usual method for this transmission I believe) and may have nothing to do with electronic assembly my model uses. I may be wrong thinking the speed sensor gear is to rest in it. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

There's no electronic speed sensor I know of that will fit into the 2004R's Speedo opening in the Trans case. All I've seen connect somewhere externally.
This is what the Bullet/Housing that holds the Driven gear looks like>> http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...____va.htm#200
Other Speedo parts here>> http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm
Old 08-19-2010, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

Interesting. You are not the first to say that. The transmission has a problem I hope to cure with a kit from CK (new valve body, etc.), that's why I'm in it now, and I haven't hooked up my electronic (Speed Hut) speedo yet. So I don't know how well the pulse generator is being driven (although I did test it on the bench with an oscilloscope and electric drill). It must have worked for the previous transmission owner. Strange. This is most certainly a 2004R by the way.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

Although I have never seen a electronic speed sensor for a 2004r. Chris does mention one in his book. You may want to give him a call
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

You're correct Art. I think these were used in the GN/GNX with the digital dashs. In Chris's book Pg. 121, it says they're available from CK. I don't know if they'll work with aftermarket gauges as they have OEM plugs & don't know the pulse width etc.. should be a way to do it tho'.
May be some Info on TurboBuick.com in Electronics or Hybrid sections.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Spoke with Chris. He thinks transmission may be out of a specific year
Trans Am, or more likely a Jaguar (that was a surprise). In any case, like I thought, the gear is too loose and should not be able to slide side to side on the shaft - he can supply a fix. Case closed. Thanks all.
Leon
Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

I think some of the TTA's/ Turbo TransAm had digital dash or electronic speedo also. Jaguar That's a new one on me too.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Only year the 2004R came in the TTA is 89, only made 1yr.
http://web.archive.org/web/200701281.../thm2004r.html
Old 08-20-2010, 05:57 AM

Last photo:

Ssedan 64 - That's a great link to 2004R info and just what I need right now! I'm converting the trans back to electric TC lock-up (was modified for hydraulic lock-up) and there is good info on the solenoid, etc. Thanks again. BTW, this transmission is behind a 355ci dropped into a Mazda RX7. B&M ratchet shifter. Speed hut gauge package. Just the basics all around. Going to be a hot little car (if I can just get it to shift). Unfortunatly the CK street/strip kit came with no instructions. I'm trying to get to email something to me so I can work on it this weekend.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

FWIW, Jag used the TH400 for a few years (80's-90's, IIRC). As did Rolls Royce. I got one out of a Jag from a good friend who worked at Collier Jaguar in Orlando. It was a warranty core, he gave it to me in trade for a slotcar motor.

To my surprise, EVERY edge inside the trans was deburred. It was beautiful! Anyone who's done trans work knows how sometimes putting your hand blindly up inside a case can cut you up pretty good. Well, this one you could have rode bare-butt to town and back and not gotten a scratch.

It also came w/a 34 element sprag, what looked to be a hardened outer, a reaction carrier w/a sprag, firm valve body calibrations along w/a higher shift point governor and an adjustable vacuum modulator.

I used this tranny's guts inside of a Cad case w/a short shaft from a Chevy TH400 in the best TH400 I've ever built/owned. I had it behind two BBC, four different SBC, a 455 Olds and a 455 Pontiac before it was finally sold in the Camaro behind a 355 SBC.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

That's wild Cobalt327, I wonder who put the Spit Shine & HD parts on/in the 400? GM or Jag?

Zeeb, when you drop the pan on your 2004R look for codes stamped in White or Yellow Ink on the side of the ValveBody. That will help ID what it came from. The Purple/Pinkish stain indicates Performance VB. Like this Pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BR3 VBody (Small).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	47596  

Last edited by SSedan64; 08-20-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.