2005 Mustang Interior door trim/vinyl coming loose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

2005 Mustang Interior door trim/vinyl coming loose

My 2005 Mustang GT has tan door panels with a darker color insert of perforated vinyl just above the arm rest. I noticed today that this darker vinyl piece is coming loose at the top, and about half of it has pulled away from the door. This appears to be a foam padded door panel section, with the perforated vinyl glued to it. Its similar to what I have seen on older head liners.

What is the right kind of adhesive to use when gluing this vinyl back in place? The glue has to adhere to a foam-padded panel, and also stick to the perforated vinyl. It probably has to be a fairly thin adhesive layer, since any variation would show up as lumps under the vinyl.

Thanks,

Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I would say (not for sure) something along the lines of a interior trim adhesive.

For you application, I'd spray some into a small container (soda bottle lid?) and use a toothpick to apply the adhesive... I think spraying it would make a mess as the trim piece is peeling, but not off.

Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You should always use a bulk spray grade HHR (high heat resistant) top and trim adhesive like DAP or 3M on a car interior. Anything else won't hold up to a hot closed car in the middle of summer. This comes off easily with mineral spirits, so as long as you're using it on vinyl, any excess will be easy to clean off after the job is done.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 AM

These three 3M products seem to be the choices that might work. Any suggestions or cautions about what to use or not use? The 08090 sounds like it might be the best overall, but 38808 is specifically listed as a fabric adhesive.

3Mô Headliner & Fabric Adhesive 38808 (specifically for fabric)
3Mô General Trim Adhesive 08088
3Mô Super Trim Adhesive 08090 (seems to be more heat resistant)

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Bulk spray grade HHR contact adhesives are your best bet, but that means you have to buy at least a gallon. You don't need to spray it, you can brush it on too. Do you have any upholstery shops that work on cars in your area? If so, take your own small container (glass or metal, not plastic) and ask to buy some contact adhesive. If there are no auto upholstery shops near you, aerosols are an O.K. choice for some things, and of the three you listed, the 08090 would be what to use.

Does the part that is failing come off separately? I would take the door panel off and find out if it is attached to the main door panel with some kind of mechanical fasteners. If it does, that would be the best way to fix the problem.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM

I think I'll take a look at the 3M spray adhesive and see what the parts store has in stock. I'd rather brush it on than spray, but spray may be all I can find on a Sunday.

The door panel is mounted to the door and the fabric section that's falling off is just stuck to the panel with adhesive. The area where it glues on is a molded, indented area of the panel, so I have to glue the fabric on and tuck it into a channel area around the indent. However, the channel appears to just hide the edge of the fabric, and it does not help in holding the fabric on.

Bruce
Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

I have had the same problem with door trim fabric falling of my mustang. I tried the 3M method more than once and it worked for a short time then fell off. Recently I found a new product in a Mustang magazine that works and looks great.It comes from Predator Mustang. They call it a high end door panel kit. It has pieces for center piece, switches,speakers, and door locks. Finished product is sweet. Check out results on my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ricky's door.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	100018  

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.