Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 2006 Silverado dash lights out how to replace them?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

2006 Silverado dash lights out how to replace them?

I just got myself a "new" truck - a 2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax 4X4

Quite a few of the dash lights (and the ones in the factory stereo and the HVAC controls and (etc) .....) are U/S

Looking on line and checking with dealer - they want to replace the entire dash cluster at a cost of $400.00 or so

Seems the "bulbs" are soldered in and are a part of the overall electronic package. I have also seen some reference to them (potentially) being soldered-in LEDs as opposed to bulbs

Multi-part Q:
Should I try to tackle this myself?
I have seen on-line instructions about how to put in LEDs to replace bulbs, but the article noted that dimming the dash lights would no longer be possible
Should I just put in LEDs anyway (Assuming that I can tackle the whole disassembly and soldering of delicate parts issues anyway!)

Should I just carry a flashlight to see the dash?

And what the bleep was GM thinking when they came up with a dash design where you cannot change a freakin' light bulb?

(and - as an aside - how come so many are U/S on my '06 when they were ALL still working fine on the 400,000 mile '92 that this one replaces?)