200r to 700r4 swap help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

200r to 700r4 swap help

I have an 84 buick that i plan a swapping a 700r4 in place of the current 200r. I will also be swapping in the 350 that was in front of the 700r4. I have seen and read mulitple things regarding computer control and tc lockup. Everyplace seems to say something different and would like a little help making some sense of this.
Is the 700R4 computer controlled. What controls the lockup on the TC? What is needed to make the swap work. I have the computer from the 350/700r4 combo. Although I had no plans on keeping a computer after the swap. Any help or suggestions would be great. Would like to have a plan before I get in over my head.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Buickguy

Last journal entry: And now the new project
Last photo:

What year 700R4? the 4L60E (circa 1993) is the same transmission and fully computer controlled, the 700r4 uses a computer to lock up the torque converter.... which can pretty easily be avoided or simply done by the wiring in of a switch....
Just as a matter of curiousity, does your 200r4 have the dual bolt pattern to allow you to bolt to the chevy pattern?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

either 90 or 91 700r4 haven't had a chance to check and see exactly which year yet. Right now I have an olds 307 with a 200r behind it. I found a 350 with a 700r4 behind it out of a 90-91 truck and was going to swap both. Rebuild the engine and maybe the transmission. I really wanted to go from the 3 speed I have now to a 4 speed and also like the low 1st on the 700r4 due to the 2.83 rearend I have now. I have seen the kit from bowtie for the lock up tc on the 700r4 any suggestions on it?

Thanks for all the great help
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Buickguy

Last photo:

I don't know what the kit is, so won't give you an opinion on it
The computer does these things:
- Checks the throttle position
- Checks the RPM
- Calculates load
- Verifies the gear the trans is currently in
- the allows the torque converter to lock up to get better mileage.
Most gearheads easily can do what the computer does and simply engage a switch when flying down the highway.... GM realized that most people who had their cars weren't gearheads and would engage the lockup too soon - which burns up tranmissions....

Your other option is to get a non-lockup torque converter, then your wiring of the computer is strickly for the engine controls .... I do caution, that the TV cable on a 700r4 is absolutely critical as to how it works and how it engages - since you're swapping a motor tranny it's not likely a problem (but you could bend the bracket and mess up the cable's adjustment.)

Are you planning on using the TBI when you do the transplant? If not, there are several websites (google TV cable adjustment for a 700r4) that detail the things to watch out for and how to successfully do the conversion.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Wasn't planning on keeping the TBI since I didn't want to mess with a new wiring kit since the current one is mostly gone and I can swap out the heads and intake for under $100 for everything. What i can figure out is the Kit from bowtie uses manifold pressure to lock up the TC in 4th gear and to unlock it when at part or WOT.

Are there any good rebuild kits you would recommend? I know there are a few short comings with the 700r4 and they can be address with different kits. Just wondering which would be the best and easiest to do.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Buickguy

Last photo:

That sounds like a good kit, I presume you're just doing a slightly more powerful daily driver - not something you're going to be competing with.

Are you talking about a shift improving kit or a rebuild kit (that would include new clutches, steels, etc).... shift improving kits that increase line pressure are good to the extent that they don't break your back everytime they shift (in old guys language "it has a GOOD positive shift").... 700r4s had trouble early on keeping pressure to the 4th gear clutches but that was improved steadily to the transmission you have.... Corvette and Camaros both had different servos, and allowed the transmission to stay in 4th gear at WOT... pretty sure that your truck tranny has the opposite - although I've had both transmission types and never found where one was better then the other in daily driving.

if you were talking rebuild kit with clutches - don't know, to date I have had others rebuild my trannies - though my next learn is a 700r4 for my blown Buick.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.