Hot Rod Forum banner

200r4

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mitchc 
#1 ·
Hey guys I finally found got my 200r4 for my Chevy Nova.. I have a few questions for the group.. First of all did Chevrolet put a 200r4 behind a Camaro with a TPI.. I'm running a TPI in my Nova and was wondering about the TV cable being long enough.. Second thing This transmission was out of a 86 Monte Carlo SS.. So I think its the better 200R4. Is that correct and if so what things should I do during the rebuild.. I've done several 400's and 350's Powerglides, C4, etc.. Any special tools??
Oh yea.. is this transmission longer than a 350??

Thanks

MItch

#2 ·
Virtually the same length as a TH350 short shaft, driveshaft will interchange.
An 86 Monte SS should be a CZ code core. yes it is a good one as far as valve body and governor calibration.
It won't have the larger 694 servo that the GN's had though.
What type of power output are you expecting?

ALL 200-4Rs that I rebuild get:
All new friction materials, Alto Red band wide band, hardened sun shell and pump stator, larger TV boost valve, overdrive clutch count increased from 2 to 3 frictions, valve body modifications, 10 vane pump with alloy pump rings, and a new TCC solenoid.
This is basically a "stock" rebuild and the minimal that I do.
I usually add a GN servo for milder builds or a billet servo for anything over 400 HP.
I also use some specialty hard parts at over 400 HP and do further valve body/circuitry mods.

That should give you an idea of what needs to be done.
You'll want a low support removal and install tool to rebuild it and plan on resurfacing the direct drum.

#3 ·
thanks for the quick reply. I'm putting it behind a 383 with a TPI. Its sounds good but I just drive it mostly.. I'll need a converter I know with the cam 280 duration.
The 694 Servo that the GN has do you have to machine the case for that?? The direct drum resurface, is that done on a lathe??

jakeshoe said:
Virtually the same length as a TH350 short shaft, driveshaft will interchange.
An 86 Monte SS should be a CZ code core. yes it is a good one as far as valve body and governor calibration.
It won't have the larger 694 servo that the GN's had though.
What type of power output are you expecting?

ALL 200-4Rs that I rebuild get:
All new friction materials, Alto Red band wide band, hardened sun shell and pump stator, larger TV boost valve, overdrive clutch count increased from 2 to 3 frictions, valve body modifications, 10 vane pump with alloy pump rings, and a new TCC solenoid.
This is basically a "stock" rebuild and the minimal that I do.
I usually add a GN servo for milder builds or a billet servo for anything over 400 HP.
I also use some specialty hard parts at over 400 HP and do further valve body/circuitry mods.

That should give you an idea of what needs to be done.
You'll want a low support removal and install tool to rebuild it and plan on resurfacing the direct drum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.