Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 200R4 Installation in 1968 firebird
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

First of all, your going to need some help, from someone who has had a little experience, because it sounds like you've never done this before. First is safety. right tools, and don't take SHORTCUTS. Tranny jack is realy helpful. Do remember to triple drop the torque convertor when you install the 200 4r. Remember the tranny crossmember is going to set back farther. You may have to drill new holes. You may even have to notch the tang on the crossmember so you can later reach the bolts on the tranny pan incase you want to drop the pan later for modifications. While you got the 200 4r out, drop the pan and put in a new filter and a tranny drain plug. You' find out later why, if you don't do it first. You'll need a couple of gallons of ATF. well, NOW IS THE HARD PART You have to set up the TV cable right or all you're work will be for nothing. You'll burn those clutches in no time flat. You'll need a tranny preasure gauge to help set it up. There is alot of information on the NET to help you I did a 200 4r in my nova and have enjoyed it. I rebuilt mine myself and beefed it up and modified it. I have no idea what gears you have in that thing to run those kind of RPMs but the 200 4r will drop them to about 2400 when locked up. Once you get that thing going, you can look at some other gears later based on how it runs down the road.