200r4 low Pressure - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

200r4 low Pressure

Hello everyone, I put in a 200r4 and set up the tv Cable.

I am checking the pressure and installed a 0-300psi pressure gauge. I am manually placing the TV Cable at WOT, and am revving the engine to `1500 RPMS.

In Park I am reaching 210PSI
all other gears i am only reaching 150PSI

From my understanding It should be over 200PSI

what can be wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM

I rebuilt mine and it worked fine. I thought mine should have higher pressure too, but i'm ok with mine. Your major concern should be that you have instant pressure rise when you use the throttle. Is your tranny rebuilt? Have you upgraded the pressure valves? With 150, it sound like you only have the stock pressure valves in it.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

You should start by putting in a call or asking around to see what normal operating pressures should be.

From my understanding the two primary reasons for low pressure are a weak pump, or internal leakage.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys, I realized my transmission was missing about 3 quarts of oil. I have not driven it yet.. I will recheck the pressure tomorrow and will update....
Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Got it moving under its own power
Last photo:

Is this transmission a newly overhauled unit or something you picked up somewhere?
As stated above, are you running larger boost valves and some sort of shift improver kit?
Did you check out the stator support, not related to the.pressure but will leave you stranded when the splined strip if it isn't a hardened piece.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Oh yea. If your low on fluid, your pressures are not going to be right. I know some say you should run a half quart over full, so I went with the deeper aluminum pan and just modified my filter to set one inch lower on the bottom of the pan. It took some planning and work to get it there, but I know i'll never have to worry about low fluid levels, or bouncing pressures. Make sure you check it again after you think you got it right. Park it in the same place and keep an eye for any leaks for a while to give yourself some peace of mind.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Ok guys thanks for the info, Dumb mistake I was 3 quarts low, ran the test again and my numbers at wot were over 210 and 240 going through the gears. It's raining today, I will take it for a test drive tomorrow...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Do you know what size valves your running? Mine are not that high so i'm thinking you must have .500 mega valve and higher low valve. Do you know if anything done to line bias valve.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwl View Post
Do you know what size valves your running? Mine are not that high so i'm thinking you must have .500 mega valve and higher low valve. Do you know if anything done to line bias valve.

Specs on the Tranny I have, hope this helps....

In order to raise performance above the Level Two units, the input shaft/drum and sun shell assembly
strength must be addressed. Anyone who has built serious Th-2004R Transmissions has, at some time experienced failure of one or more of these components. Our Level Two Transmissions parts have proven to be reliable to the torque levels described in Level Two and our return rate demonstrates this. We experience less than 1% failure on our Level Two units.
Once you get into these engine torque and horsepower levels above the Level Two Transmissions, the input shaft to drum connection point becomes prone to fracture and the spline section will start ripping off the sun shell. Our Level Three Transmissions have the following parts added for increased strength and reliability above 450 hp and 450 ft/lbs. of torque. These components are specifically engineered to help prevent breakage in applications with exceptionally stout motors. Details of these parts can be seen at extreme-duty.com.
While the late model factory sun shells are definitely a big improvement, they are certainly not up to the hard core use that our sun shells are built for. Our Level Three Transmission includes the following upgrades from Level Two: Heavy duty input shaft/drum assembly, the reinforced sun shell package and fourth gear servo. These parts will live at horsepower and torque levels over 60% greater than the stock components are able to tolerate!

Our Level Three units have everything included in Level One and Level Two plus the Extreme-Duty package!

Kolene steels and Red Eagle frictions.
Racing level band.
Custom machined input shaft using 300M aerospace alloy available for additional $300.00
Modified line bias system.
Extra modifications to spacer plate for aggressive performance.
Custom machined anodized red billet servo for greater clamping performance.
Main boost valve is upgraded to a .500" main boost , and our oversized low/reverse boost valve produce higher operating pressures for firmer, quicker shifts and better clamping pressures in all gears.,

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.