200r4 to LQ4 (steel block LS) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

200r4 to LQ4 (steel block LS)

Alright I am planning on putting a LQ4 in my olds and hooking it up to my 200r4, I know there is a space issue between the LQ4 flywheel and the torque converter (according to the Raptor Trans website) they sell a spacer for this, but then go on to say that i have to elongate the bolt holes in the converter to hook everything up. I dont if its just me or does that sound like it would comprimise the integrity of the driveline? Any advice? or does anyone know of a place that make converter's with custom bolt pattern.
thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

When using a conventional style trans behind an LSx engine you need the spacer that goes between the crankshaft an flexplate. The spacer is there for the converter to index into since the crankshaft doesn't protrude as far back relative to the bellhousing mating flange on the LS engines.

You also need the flat flywheel instead of the bell shaped one.

About $200 worth of parts from GM, because the bolts are also longer and shanked to center the spacer so it all stays concentric.

GM used these parts on the vehicles that used 4L80E's behind the LSx engines.

One thing to keep in mind, 1999-2000 (maybe 2001?) 6.0L had a different crankshaft that protruded further so you wouldn't need the spacer.

Anytime you use a PowerGlide, TH350, TH400, 200-4R, 700-R4, or 4L80E behind these powerplants you need the spacer, flat flexplate, and bolts.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:36 AM

Olds79, I am doing a similar swap. I am putting a 5.3 Vortec Engine with a 700R4 into a 51 Chevy Pickup. I am still planning on how to address the trans/torque converter issue like you are. I really don't know what the best option will be for me, as I currently don't even have a flex plate for my engine, I am starting from scratch. You had asked about elongating the holes, and if it weakened your drivetrain. TCI has a flexplate, TCI 399753 that is made of billet steel, and it looks like it has both bolt patterns for the LS1, and earlier generation small block. I guess you would still need the crank shaft spacer though. Just another option. There is also a writeup on another forum that addresses this problem. www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639693
Let us know what you decide to do. Like I said, I am still studying my options.
Corey
Old 05-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds79
...elongate the bolt holes in the converter to hook everything up. I dont if its just me or does that sound like it would comprimise the integrity of the driveline...
thanks guys!
I can't imagine it weakening anything. Remember, (hopefully) you'll be torqueing those bolts to 50+ lb-ft. If it still bothers you, rotate the flywheel (in the direction of rotation) up against the edge of the "slot" so it's loaded, then tighten the bolts.

Russ

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.