200R4 poor shifting - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had the same problems with mine. It came in my caprice. I since had removed the 305 and put in a mild 350 and went from 2.73 gear to 3.90

I installed a bowtie overdrives TV ratio correction kit for the carb I had and also installed a shift kit. It shifted firmer but still early. I swapped in a bowtie overdrives 5500rpm shift governor and that solved the problem. Then I installed the 500 boost valve and it seemed to grab a **** ton better. It will shift normal under normal driving conditions and shift at approx 5300-5500rpm at WOT. Made the car a lot faster and more enjoyable. You can do all the mods yourself. I did it and I never worked on a transmission before. I also ditched the stock converter and had a custom built one and it made all the difference.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Guess I should have posted that most Q-jet carbs linkage does not have the correct geometry for a 200-4r trans TV cable.

bnewsom:

I will disagree , where hardhatz is posting comments towards the general members here that may be taken negatively .

It is easy to read negative thoughts into a post as his post below:

Quote:
I guess I thought I could find good guys who want to help each other benefit from their experiences. Sorry, my mistake. I wouldn't have treated any of you like that.
After his first post back to me , I decided to sit back and simply be a moderator as my duties require on this board.

he has received several helpful answers. I hope he can fix his car as needed.

It has been my past 3+ decades of auto experience that often junk yard trannys and engines do not always perform as expected. Late model - low mileage take outs are different from finding an old 200-4r trans in the junk yard.

Last item; bnesom it would helpful if you did not post in one looong continuous paragraph. That can make for difficult reading on the boards.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

2004r

You can attract a lot more bees with honey than with vinegar!

Bnesom, you are entitled to your opinion, however general concensus would suggest that hardhatz's comments were indeed inflammatory. Rearead post # 10 and #12.

However, I have found that discussing issues on a forum are a little different than doing it face to face, or even over the phone.

Lot's of room for misinterpretation.

Still, hardhatz has posted on this site at least 69 times and unless this is his first time on the trans forum he must have some idea of the wealth of knowledge that Crosley possesses. And freely shares with people that post on this forum.

But because no one could present hardhatz with a magic wand to fix his problem he got a little tweaked.

Hopefully enough information passed across this thread so that hardhatz can get his problem squared away.

By the way, my transmission work's just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.