Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 200R4 poor shifting
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hardhatz,
I reread this thread and can't find the part where you were disrespectful to anyone so don't worry about it. I also can't find where "you are surprised" that your junkyard tranny isn't performing like you want it to. All I read is you asking for some suggestions to solve a problem and answering about what you had done. I did see where someone told you q-jets are not used with this tranny and this is not true. I'm using tv cable bracket off a later model qjet on my mid 70's qjet. Too bad post counts don't always equal IQ surely don't give anybody the right to dog another. On all but Buick GN's and Monte Carlo SS's and maybe another car or two, this tranny was calibrated for low torque engines and gave a soft and slow shift at low rpms. You can recalibrate it with a shift kit, a govenor change and a servo change. Just doing this will fix the shifts assuming it is otherwise healthy but it still won't live too long if you are hard on it without making some hard parts upgrades. One thing you can try before doing all this is set the TV cable per repair manual instructions, then with the engine off, fully depress and quickly release the throttle. Do this about ten times quickly and then retest. Repeat this a few times and you may get lucky. Idea is there may be some trash hanging up the valve. Also follow this link and spend some time in this forum http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/ and then ask some questions and these guys will give you some help.
Good Luck,
Bob