200r4 swap for a th350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

200r4 swap for a th350

I'm considering swapping out a 200r4 for my current th350. It's bolted to a stock 307 block. I have read most of the previous posts and for the most part, the opinion seems to lean more toward the 200r4 being a decent trans as long as it is not abused and the tv is set correctly. I want it for the overdrive because I do a lot of highway driving to rod shows and I'm hoping the overdrive will increase my milage from 16 mpg to around 20 mpg.

I'm interested in learning how to select a decent used unit. What do I look for, what do I ask, etc?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

In stock form, the Metric 200 is a very light duty trans. With some serious building, it can be made to handle some big hp, but its expensive. My suggestion is to get the 700r4. The ones from '89 to '93 are the best ones to build. In stock form, they will hold up good and upgrades are not as extensive or expensive. Just my 2 cents. ( I'm building a 700 for my '77 truck, , time will tell how good I am! LOL)
Mark
Old 02-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Bigger is better

Last photo:

Go with a 700r4. All around, it's a better choice. Your car will thank you.

As far as what to look for...

look for a clean casing. You want to look very carefully for cracks, etc.

Also, check the fluid. It should be a nice deep red.A good test is to remove the dipstick and touch the fluid to a piece of white paper(an envelope will do).If the fliud looks brown or black, the tranny has been too hot and not regularly serviced. Clean fluid(nice deep red) usually means the tranny has been taken care of.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

It's gonna be hard to connect a 700R4 to an Oldsmobile engine, since they only fit Chevy engines. Go with the 200-4R and don't dog it, and change the fluid & filter every 20,000 miles or so.

If you get a used one, try to get one from a running vehicle, or dig around in the junker for something with the PO's name on it and call him to see if it was any good. Check in the pan for excessive debris, and smell it to see if it smells like burnt fluid. Many people don't check the tranny fluid, and if a car with a 200-4R quits moving due to lack of fluid, it likely won't move any more no matter how much fluid you add.

I'd get a used one rebuilt before I used it again, but I'm old and lazy and can't justify R&R-ing a tranny twice in a row.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I gotta disagree here. If you're not smacking too much torque to it, the 200-4r is a much stronger tranny than the 700r4. Stronger inputs, outputs, suns, the works. Its weak point is that its not a large diameter, so the internals are more stressed when it comes to torque... BUT remember how many big caddys came with 200-4rs.

Its a fine tranny. You can help yourself by selecting one of the tranny codes in bold print at this site: http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

They are plentiful and cheap. Its not required to get one of these, but highly recommended. They have a different governor and a different valve body casting. The bad reputation that the 200 family gets is from the THM200C and the non-hi-po 200-4rs. They have way too wimpy line pressures and shift way too early. The three speed 200s are just a waste of perfectly good aluminum and steel in my opinion, but the hi-po 200-4rs are a proper design from the factory and are upgradable.

700s are a fine tranny, but can get kinda difficult to tune shift points, downshifts, and hunts. The 200-4r came behind big caddys, buick GNXs, and built properly I've seen them survive hundreds of strip passes behind a 500-hp twin turbo buick 3.8.

The 200 family also has (in my opinion) much better gear ratios.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Oh, and I forgot... the 200-4r is a direct bolt in for the 350. You'll have to move your crossmember back to the other hole in the frame, but overall length is the same and you can use the same driveshaft. Not true of the 700r4.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

And I just read that is a stock 307. The 140 hp/215 tq it makes would be fine with any transmission you put in there, stock, modified, or whatever. Adjusting the TV cable is so easy you could do it every day, so don't let that scare you. You just pull the adjuster out of the bracket then floor the acclerator. It pulls the bracket in as far as it needs. Takes 2 minutes if you're slow.

Sorry to disagree with all of you guys, but I personally hate the 700r4. Getting one to shift where you want it, downshift when you need it, and not hunt around makes me crazy. Combine that with the wide ratios, heavier weight, oddball size, and extensive modifications/adaptations he'll have to do to put it behind a low power engine just don't make sense to me. There are some of us Caddy 500 guys choosing the 200-4r over the 700r4 because it will take more abuse.

There are a lot of stereotypes, but just because the stock 200 family was small and weak doesn't mean they all are.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I have a lot of info and I can't get "edit" to work.

Here are some more websites on some 200 tech including which ones to choose:

http://www.drwtransmission.com/thm_200-4r.htm
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/tran.../200rebld.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/tran...transpage.html
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm
http://www.drwtransmission.com/trans_weights.htm
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Tr...asurements.htm
http://www.nastyz28.com/transid.html
Transmission Information.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 PM

Thanks Curtis73 for your advice. I am more convinced than ever that I want to try the trans in my car. All your additional reference data has been a great help too. For a rookie like me, the more info the better. I have been bogged down with work but it has given me time to do my homework before I go shopping. I will watch your other posts for my next mechanics class.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Same Situation

Hey I Read The Post And Was Wondering How It Went? I Am Going To Put A 2004r In A 77 Cutlass Behind My Mild 307 Eventually. I Want The Overdrive And Even Gear Spacing. But It Will Take Me Awile To Get A Core And Rebuild Kit. I Drive The Car Daily And Get 25 Mpgs And Want More But I Have Heard Nothing But Horror Stories. Let Me Know If It Works Well.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

I have a 200-4R behind a 427 BBC in '69 Chevelle. If you tke care of their known weaknesses they work fine.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Wow

well i supose that the stories were just stories. I want the overdrive but i also want the universal bell housing to try different engines with a fuel attomizer preheater device i built. I wont be going for high horse just the optimum performance and ecconomy of mostly stock motor. so i need reliability. thanks for a first hand account.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Hi there, I've just come across your thread. I'll just add my two pennies worth by saying that (after taking advice from this forum) I plumped for a built 200R4 behind my approx 500hp pontiac 455 and I've had no trouble. It bolted staright up and the tranny crossmemeber worked out good too (replacing TH350). The car gets used for street and strip and the overdrive facility is great, especially here where gas is $8 per gallon.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

2004r are a little betterthan most ppl say

better than the 200c for sure

200c is the worst

ive seen some really super high mileage alll original 200r4's still runnig around, they seem to be moderately reliable, unlike most 700r4s

i would run one if i had to choose between one and a 700r4

but then they are 3" different in length overall

so thats another factor

good luck

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.