200r4 trans. and donor car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

200r4 trans. and donor car

hey guys, i just completed my 3.73 rear end swap and now im looking into getting a 200r4 trans ..i have a newly rebuilt th350 in the car now but looks like im going to need the OD trans.the rearend i have came from the 85 monte carlo ss and im thinking if i could get lucky i can score a trans from the same yr model car..what else would i need from the donor car to complete this new project..thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 11:40 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: grill and rear end
Last photo:

Why would you want a 200R4 when you could get a 700R4?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

well didnt figure i would need that big trans.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

As long as you don't have monster torque, there is nothing a 700r4 can do that a 200-4r can't do better and with more favorable ratios.

And, the 200-4r is a direct bolt-in for the 350 it replaces. Move the cross member back, bolt it on, end of story. No driveshaft changes. Not so with the 700r4.

From the donor car, get the tranny and torque converter. Most 200 cases are dual-fit pattern, but make sure the one you choose has the right pattern for your engine. Get the TV cable bracket off the carb. That's it. Bolt it in. You'll have to find some way of adjusting the shift linkage or get the linkage from the donor car. The 350's shift selector has the detents much closer together so your PRND2L won't line up.

The 350 uses vacuum and the 200 does not. The 200 instead uses the TV cable. Setting that up properly is key. Do a search and you'll find tons of info on easy ways to set it up.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:47 PM
31 five window

Last photo:

I am not a tranny expert,but IMHO the 700R4 is stronger and cost about the same so why not play it safe in case you throw more HP at it later?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Both trannys are pretty wimpy stock, but both can be made to take impressive power.

Go here for more info on the 200-4r
http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html
http://www.drwtransmission.com/thm_200-4r.htm
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/tran.../200rebld.html
Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
31 five window

Last photo:

Curtis73,You say the 200 is a direct bolt in for the 350.But then you say move the cross member back. Isn't that the same with the 700? Please correct me if I am wrong but a 700R4 bolts to a 350 engine just like a TH350 and uses the same yoke,you just have to shorten drive shaft and move cross member back. Is the 200 the same length as a TH350 thereby eliminating the need to shorten drive shaft?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM

The 200-4R is the same length as a 350 or powerglide. I swapped out a PG in my 70 Impala for a 200-4R. Kept the crossmember in the same spot and swapped the mount to the rear of the x-member. Piece of cake. I'm not positive if the 700-R4 will use the same slip yoke (spline count?) as the rest. The 200-4R is more than capable when it's upgraded. I got mine from an 86 Monte SS, which is a tad bit more desirable than one that was originally behind an Olds wagon or something like that.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
Curtis73,You say the 200 is a direct bolt in for the 350.But then you say move the cross member back. Isn't that the same with the 700? Please correct me if I am wrong but a 700R4 bolts to a 350 engine just like a TH350 and uses the same yoke,you just have to shorten drive shaft and move cross member back. Is the 200 the same length as a TH350 thereby eliminating the need to shorten drive shaft?
Yes. The 200 family is the same length and spline count as the 350, but the mount is further back on the case. Most GMs have the frame pre-drilled for the crossmember move, but if you don't have those holes just drill them. The 700r4 you would have to shorten the driveshaft as well which can be a considerable cost.

I'm also not a fan of the 700. People always talk about how wonderful the 3.06 first gear is, but then forget that it has the largest 1-2 gear difference of any automatic transmission ever produced. Unless you have a huge, flat torque curve it can notably degrade performance. Since you have 3.73 gears, the 3.06 first gear is not necessary. Stock calibration on the 700 is also a little frustrating; early shifts, refusing to downshift, torque converters that sometimes don't unlock, sticky 3-4 valves, etc. They are easy to upgrade, but they can be a pain in stock form.

The 200-4r can have some issues as well, but if you get one of the "hi-po" trannys listed on the first website above, most of the issues are resolved.

Last edited by curtis73; 04-25-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys ..i'll be doing alot of reading before i go out and get one...thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Good luck hddave1! I have a 3.55 rear end, and things work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Most GMs have the frame pre-drilled for the crossmember move, but if you don't have those holes just drill them.
FYI, I have a 69 parts car that has both locations, but not on the 70. Go figure.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
31 five window

Last photo:

Thanks for the info Curtis,I am always trying to learn and sometimes I ask a ? just to help clarify the answer for someone less knowledgeable.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The 200 with 3.73's is a great combo. I had them together in a 80 monte with a 355 in front of it, throttle induced oversteer at will.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

well i did some reading and seems like its going to be awhile before i can take this project on..seems like most of the cars i have looked into have floor shifters and consoles and i dont have the seats to do that..cant really find out what is needed for a colum shifter..
Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddave1
well i did some reading and seems like its going to be awhile before i can take this project on..seems like most of the cars i have looked into have floor shifters and consoles and i dont have the seats to do that..cant really find out what is needed for a colum shifter..
A column shifter is no problem. In the 80 Monte, I used the column shifter in it for a few years. P R N D (D being OD) will align properly, it is the others that will be misaligned and it is not by much. I never found it to be an issue. At the time I did mine I bought a kit through Rossi Transmissions out of Calif. that allowed the lock up of the converter in OD only. I don't think that Rossi is in business any longer at least by that name.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.