Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

200R4 TV cable

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dav3 
#1 · (Edited)
so... i have a 81 elky with a 350 and it had 2 barrel holley pro jection tbi. ditched it and put a edelbrock performer rpm cam, intake and carb. and i have a 200r4 trans and the tv cabel it weird on it. before it was adjusted with zip ties because the cable was too long. so i got a cable clamp for it instead of zip ties. at first it was shifting from first to second at 3,000 rpm at a slow acceleration.. i kept adjusting and got it to where i was shifting right finally! and now it is not shifing at high rpm when im at WOT.

so i tighten up my tv cable and im back to where i started with it shifting at 3,000 rpm from first to second under slow acceleration.

there is alot of slack in the tv cable so thats what the cable clamp is for. i know that you hold your throttle a WOT and press that button on the tv cable and it suppose to adjust but its not. ive been getting frustrated trying to figure it out. anybody got any ideas?

i think the slack in the cable might have somthing to do with it. were talking about an inch of cable sticking out of the end. i dont know. HELP!

#2 ·
So your trying to adjust the TV cable by pressing the throttle to WOT and then pushing down the adjustment tab? I have never tried it that way. Heres how I have always done it and it has worked great everytime.

I hold down the adjustment tab and move the slider till it stops against the fitting. Let off of the tab then open the throttle to WOT and the cable should ratchet through the slider and adjust itself.

#3 ·
STRKD89FB said:
So your trying to adjust the TV cable by pressing the throttle to WOT and then pushing down the adjustment tab? I have never tried it that way. Heres how I have always done it and it has worked great everytime.

I hold down the adjustment tab and move the slider till it stops against the fitting. Let off of the tab then open the throttle to WOT and the cable should ratchet through the slider and adjust itself.
This is the correct way to adjust it.

It sounds like he does not have the right 'bracket' from Edelbrock for his carb.

#5 ·
You do not want to force the cable adjustment by using the throttle to pull the TV cable out...this can bend the internal TV link and linkage on the valve body.

IF there is slack in the TV cable on this 200-4r trans,you need to correct the geometry and the inner cable length

#6 ·
STRKD89FB said:

yes somebody told me to do it that way. but ill try your way tonight and see if it works. im a dummy with automatic trannies. thanks

#7 ·
SSedan64 said:
i dont have that! i should buy it? or could i make it work because i was adjusting it wrong. ill try the proper adjustment tonight and see what happens. ill prpbably end up getting that

#10 ·
SSedan64 said:
Yes, you definitely need the Edelbrock geometry corrector. The TV cable controls line pressure, shift timing and shift firmness. If it's not set right you can have low pressure in a high torque situation which will burn the clutches very fast.
okay yeah i didnt want to drive it because of it not shifing right. thanks alot! i love this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.