200R4 vs 350 Turbo trans swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

200r4 swap

hey...i /ve got a world class 65 gto with a power glide 2 spd that goes nowhere from a standing start. i also have a 200r4 w/2500 stall and a shift kit. its in my 84 suburban and works great. would a swap be beneficial ? the gto has a 3.23 non posi rear. thanks to anyone with good onfo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Well now, I see you said GTO. you got my attention. I love mid sixties GM and ponchos are my favorite.
That being said,the 2004r would be a realgood choice for a trans swap.
it is only a little longer, maybe 1/2 I think, the cross member need to be modified a little, and the drive shaft shortened about 1 inch IIRC.
In my Honest opinion, getting rid of the 2 speed will make you smile real wide.Those things were so low performance in stock form it isnt funny.
I have a T 350 in my 64 LeMans and it works real well.I was at one time considering a 2004r and I still am, I built what I had at the time, if I remove it , I will just have to get another poncho daily driver to put it in.
I think if you search the knowlege base a little harder you will find most of the info on the swap you will need.
It is definitly a worthwhile swap.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 PM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

If it is a Powerglide, then the 200-4R is the same length, and installation becomes a matter of doing the crossmember for a TH400. Re-use the driveshaft from the Powerglide.
If it is a Super-Turbine rather than a Powerglide, then I have no info.
The 200-4R is worth the hassle, the GTO will become a joy to drive.
However, an '84 Suburban should be a 700R-4, not a 200-4R. So make sure of what you have.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 AM

thanks for the great info to both of you...and without going out in zero degree weather and crawlling under my suburban.....i was told by the last owner it is a 200r4. its an original california truck that HAD calif. ommisions on it and its carborated. is that any more help? i'm thinking that the gto is an st 300 2 spd.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

Better hope they've swapped it. The latest 200-4Rs were pretty good, like '86-up. The pre-'87 700R-4s had problems. Best is an '88-up 700R-4, but if you have any 700, then you'll need a bellhousing adapter plate, which runs like $60.
Still, a 700R-4 and a 3.23:1 gear will still be fun and economical behind a 400 Poncho. I did a 200-4R and 3.42:1 behind a 403 Olds, and it was great.
Either way, you'll soon be wanting a posi.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by q.s.clark
hey...i /ve got a world class 65 gto with a power glide 2 spd that goes nowhere from a standing start. i also have a 200r4 w/2500 stall and a shift kit. its in my 84 suburban and works great. would a swap be beneficial ? the gto has a 3.23 non posi rear. thanks to anyone with good onfo.
i did an install of a 200-4r on a 65 goat a little over a year ago when i was still in NC. it helped with the gas mileage a few miles per gallon, and the lower first gear ratio helped with the take off.
if i remember correctly, we had to drill out a couple holes for the cross member and were able to use 2 of the original holes in the frame that were there from the factory.
easy job for a conversion and the customer wad very pleased.
just a quick note, whyholdback is correct about the trans in your suburban. if that be the case, you wont be able to do the swap without an adapter as the 700r4 never came with a BOP bell housing. transdapt has the adapter needed and you can get the longer dowel pins from jegs. yes i highly recommend you get them with the use of the adapter kit.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM

the more i learn the dummer i get !! can i tell what tranny is in my suburban by my i.d. numbers? 1G8EC16L8EF200031. sure wub be nice to know before i get started.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
the more i learn the dummer i get !! can i tell what tranny is in my suburban by my i.d. numbers? 1G8EC16L8EF200031. sure wub be nice to know before i get started.

clik here On the Crankshaft Wiki , there are photos of pan shapes that may help you ID the transmission
Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 AM

hey, all you guys were right! i went out in the freezing, snow blown driveway and crawled under the suburban and there it was...a rectangle tranny pan. so,it's a 700r4. i guess you can't believe everything a previous owner tells you (although i think it was unintentional). that site you sent me on tranny i.d. was extremely helpful. i do believe it has a shift kit and 2500 stall. sooooo....any more tips other than the adapter plate and moving the cross member?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Valve Body
Last photo:

What does the pan look like?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Last journal entry: brakes
Last photo:

my best advice is don't mess up the detent cable. if it isnt set right you will burn the trans up real quick. the govnr and the cable control shift points in a 700. the cable dictates line pressure also, really important. 700 has a lower first gear than the th350 so it ought to be fun, 1st gear winds out fairly quick in my camaro so i had to learn how to shift quicker....thats the biggest problem i had when i swapped from 350 to 700.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

I've never heard of a "world class 65 GTO". What is that?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

If you liked the trans pan I.D. photos, for another quarter you can read about 700R tranny's, go here and read the article, enrich your mind.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._TRANSMISSIONS
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Super Turbine (Jetaway) transmission

This is what I like about this site ... you can learn something every day!

I just had a guy come into my store a couple of days ago, looking for a filter kit for a 2-speed A/T in a 67 Firebird. The filter baffled me ... didn't look like anything in the Balkamp "ATP" catalog (Powerglide). I'll bet that is what that tranny was ... an "ST-300"

Actually, now that I know ... I just went to wixfilters.com and looked it up there. NAPA uses WIX for their supplier of all other kinds of filters EXCEPT trans filters.

Yup, #58880 sure looks like it.
Dammit, NAPA!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.