200r4 wiring for OD/lock-up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

200r4 wiring for OD/lock-up

I have a 92 s10 v8 conversion project that someone else started.
82 200r4 was installed and used but the wiring for the lock-up was not completed. Transmission has a three wire connector (red/green/black) though none of these connect to anything outside the housing. All of the internal wiring (original ?) was done with black wire though it appears the solenoid was replaced as there are connectors in the wiring at the solenoid (and a short red lead from the solenoid) The external red changes to black inside and extends to the solenoid (+). The external black extends as black to one terminal of the pressure switch. The external green wire changes to black inside then splits to extend to both the solenoid (-) and a terminal at the pressure switch. (I was hoping to attach a skecth and pictures but have not figured that out yet).

I am thinking if I bring hot through the brake switch (breaks circuit when brake is applied) and to the red wire at the trans, ground the exterior black wire and just cap the exterior green wire, then the system will work (the "green" wiring acting inside the trans as a jumper between the solenoid and the pressure switch).

With two terminals on the pressure switch I assume it is not a self grounding switch. I am also assuming it is "open" until shifting into fourth causes the pressure needed to activate (close) the circuit and activate the solenoid and the lock-up.

A little long but hopefully able to be understood.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Ceethefoolwithaquestion

can anyone tell me how to attach a picture?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp wiring sketch LOW.BMP (265.0 KB, 243 views)

Advertisement

Last edited by ceethefool; 09-21-2007 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add picture(s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceethefool
82 200r4 was installed and used but the wiring for the lock-up was not completed. Transmission has a three wire connector (red/green/black) though none of these connect to anything outside the housing. All of the internal wiring (original ?) was done with black wire though it appears the solenoid was replaced as there are connectors in the wiring at the solenoid (and a short red lead from the solenoid) The external red changes to black inside and extends to the solenoid (+). The external black extends as black to one terminal of the pressure switch. The external green wire changes to black inside then splits to extend to both the solenoid (-) and a terminal at the pressure switch. (I was hoping to attach a skecth and pictures but have not figured that out yet).

I am thinking if I bring hot through the brake switch (breaks circuit when brake is applied) and to the red wire at the trans, ground the exterior black wire and just cap the exterior green wire, then the system will work (the "green" wiring acting inside the trans as a jumper between the solenoid and the pressure switch).

With two terminals on the pressure switch I assume it is not a self grounding switch. I am also assuming it is "open" until shifting into fourth causes the pressure needed to activate (close) the circuit and activate the solenoid and the lock-up.

Ceethefoolwithaquestion

can anyone tell me how to attach a picture?
I have a TCI lock up kit that sounds similar to yours on mine the red is connected to a switched 12V and I do have mine going thru the aux brake switch, the black is the ground which actually actuates my lock up utilizing a vacuum switch @ 8in but could also be hooked to a toggle switch for manual lock up and the green wire on mine is used to manually lock up in gears other than 4th should you want that option. Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the advice

Anyone else care to comment?

Ceethefoolwithaquestion

picture attached to original message.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

I can't comment on the wiring at the transmission -- the transmission got a basic overhaul and the shop just said to run a hot wire through the brake cancel switch to a wire on the transmission (don't remember the color). They said I would also need a vacuum switch and/or a toggle switch. My car uses a non-CC quadrajet and vacuum advance distributor.

Based on other discussions on this board, I ran a wire from the brake cancel (NO) prong of the brake switch, through an appropriate GM vacuum switch mounted on the top of the intake manifold and then onto the transmission wire. I ran a vacuum hose from a ported carb fitting to the vacuum switch.

The lockup works in 4th only and unlocks when the brake was applied or I gave the car enough throttle that the engine vacuum dropped and the vacuum switch broke the circuit. This worked pretty good except when driving at constant low speeds (30-35 mph) in traffic or on winding country roads. Unless I gave it enough throttle to activate the vacuum switch (deenergize lockup), the car would feel like it was lugging under light throttle movement.

So, I wired a toggle switch in between the brake switch and the vacuum switch. Now I can manually disable the lockup feature via the toggle switch if I am in steady slow traffic in 4th gear. I haven't experimented with it, but I suspect you don't gain much increase in gas mileage from the lockup feature until you get up to 50 mph or so. I think some people leave it manually disabled via a toggle switch unless they are on the highway or interstate.

My mild 350 with 3.42 gears averages about 16-17 in urban driving and 19-20 on the interstate at 60-65 mph. Overall I have average 18 mpg over the last 2000 miles.

PM me if you need anything further.

John

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.