2013 Dodge Dart - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

2013 Dodge Dart

Some of you may have already seen this in the news: Dodge is bringing back the Dart.

For those who've owned the original, does this modern interpretation seem worthy of the name?

"2013 Dodge Dart aims for center of compact sedan segment"

"Comparing the Compacts: How Will 2013 Dodge Dart Sedan Stack Up? Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/comparing-the-compacts-how-will-2013-dodge-dart-sedan-stack-up-143337.html#ixzz1fnf5DPzz"

Advertisement

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 12-06-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

IMHO, not even close to the original. Of course if offered with the largest HEMI, I could warm up to it.

Bob
Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I was never a fan of the Dart, kind of thought they were grandpa cars. Same with the Valiant. Chrysler is building some tough looking cars, anything they do would be an improvement on the Neon, IMO the ugliest car built by Chrysler.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Saw this earlier on a car blog. Looks like a mini charger and based off an alfa romeo platform that's been widened for some of our more "seasoned" wal-mart shoppers.

My thoughts were:

"fwd? no slant 6? I'll pass."

I'm sure it'll put down better numbers than the old darts in every aspect, but I just don't like the name on that car, it rubs me wrong. Just like the new Malibu.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Well I guess the new car does serve the same purpose as what the original did: a low-priced, entry-level car. But this would be a modern interpretation of it, reflecting today's mass consumers' taste, as well as the economic conditions and engineering advancements.

Would it be better to name it some else altogether, and leave the original name dead with the car it came on?

Perhaps bring the Neon name plate back instead?

I must admit that naming this car Dart - provided it comes with the appropriate oomph - doesn't bother me as much as the four-door Charger.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Charger - should have been a 2 door, ugly as sin, Chrysler would have been better off building the Charger concept car.. It was gorgeous.

Challenger - the right styling but its too tall. Would look a LOT better either 3" wider or the body 2" shorter. Looks boxy and stodgy.

New Dart - based on one of the least reliable European cars ever. A shadow of its former self. Another Neon in the making.

I don't know who is doing Chrysler's styling these days but they sure have their head up their arse big time.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Centerline; 12-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Charger - should have been a 2 door, ugly as sin, Chrysler would have been better off building the Charger concept car.. It was gorgeous.

Challenger - the right styling but its too tall. Would look a LOT better either 3" wider or the body 2" shorter. Looks boxy and stodgy.

New Dart - based on one of the least reliable European cars ever. A shadow of its former self. Another Neon in the making.

I don't know who is doing Chrysler's styling these days but they sure have their head up their arse big time.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
They are calling this thing a DART??? Looks like a Citreon had an abortion and that is whats left.That is one ugly car.
They made a car called the lancer a year or two ago, that car wasnt bad.
Remember the 1962 dart? it was pretty ugly too, so I guess it is pretty close to a DART. Now a 68 dart in fire engine red, cragars, different story.
That Blue Charger on top is real nice. I love that body style.I almost had a red one with a white vinyl top for my first car. It was a 383 4 bbl car too. SWEET.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What the???
Nah, it couldn't be ... ROFL
Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Speaking of two-door concepts, this one isn't too bad... (found here)

Quote:
They look great in pictures. But in person, that's another story. Still, they sound quite nice but could use some help in power department to keep up with the competition.

Quote:

Apparently they gotta keep Fiat happy. I'm not sure sure how much they are depending on them, but I'm guessinging that is they key to Chrysler's survival at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC

What the???
Nah, it couldn't be ... ROFL
That's messed up. Why would you insult Lightning McQueen like that LOL!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

I agree that the Charger concept looked much better than what ultimately came to be, but mainly because I hate throw-back or "retro" look cars. Car design should look toward the future and not borrow from the past just to sell in the moment. That's what those original cars that these new designers ape their "style" from did in the first place: Looked forward. Plus the beltlines on these car are waaaayyy too high. Made up for in big, silly, fat-bottomed bumpers and ridiculously tall doors with armored truck slits for windows.

I guess I have to ask myself if this is all Chrysler has? We have the choice of them either grave robbing past names (Neon, Dart, etc) or naming them after an American Gladiator to fit their aggressive brand imaging (Nitro, Caliber, etc)? Are all the good names taken?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
"But how do it know?"

Hey Cameron,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
I agree that the Charger concept looked much better than what ultimately came to be, but mainly because I hate throw-back or "retro" look cars. Car design should look toward the future and not borrow from the past just to sell in the moment. That's what those original cars that these new designers ape their "style" from did in the first place: Looked forward. Plus the beltlines on these car are waaaayyy too high. Made up for in big, silly, fat-bottomed bumpers and ridiculously tall doors with armored truck slits for windows.
I hear you on the whole retro thing. While I don't mind the retro looks all that much, I agree that it does take away from forward thinking. In the case of the Camaro fans who don't care for the new look, I think it came down to a "retro Camaro is better than no Camaro at all" mentality (personally, I like it).

Overall, retro seems to be the new marketing strategy for practically everything these days. Every company seems to want to harken back to the good 'ol days of how things were, instead of focusing on how things should be. There is way too much appeal to nostalgia, which of course is proving good for business (for now). Its no wonder there are soooooo many remakes of older TV shows and movies.

Quote:
I guess I have to ask myself if this is all Chrysler has? We have the choice of them either grave robbing past names (Neon, Dart, etc) or naming them after an American Gladiator to fit their aggressive brand imaging (Nitro, Caliber, etc)? Are all the good names taken?
I gotta say, coming up with new, appealing names seems to be a challenge for quite a few manufacturers these days, especially for newer products that aren't deemed worthy of older names. The established names are working well for the Japanese auto makers (Camry, Civic, Corolla, Accord). Ford is the only US automaker with mostly newer names, aside from the F-series, Explorer and Mustang. And while their cars seem very good, the names don't seem very appealing to me (Flex, Edge, Fusion). I have the same problem with Chevy's Cruze.

Now that I think about it, I hope that Chrysler isn't calling the new car Dart in order to appeal to nostalgia, as that is a guaranteed fail. Though that is probably the case since the Charger and Challenger are back and the 300 has been around. And of course, most of the young folks aren't gonna get in line to pick one up because the name refers to a classic car they've probably never even seen.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Hey Cameron,

I hear you on the whole retro thing. While I don't mind the retro looks all that much, I agree that it does take away from forward thinking. In the case of the Camaro fans who don't care for the new look, I think it came down to a "retro Camaro is better than no Camaro at all" mentality (personally, I like it).
As much as I don't care for the design I can agree with that. GM was rather short sighted in their elimination of their pony car platform and their true fullsize platform just to build and sell SUVs. I'm sure if the F-body and B-body platform had stuck around, they would be a bit more competitive in the market. I personally can't believe Ford's getting rid of the Panther platform either. I guess body-on-frame is a thing of the past, but you're really opening the full size RWD market up to Chrysler, who ironically enough, abandoned RWD passenger cars well before Ford or GM...

Quote:
I gotta say, coming up with new, appealing names seems to be a challenge for quite a few manufacturers these days, especially for newer products that aren't deemed worthy of older names. The established names are working well for the Japanese auto makers (Camry, Civic, Corolla, Accord). Ford is the only US automaker with mostly newer names, aside from the F-series, Explorer and Mustang. And while their cars seem very good, the names don't seem very appealing to me (Flex, Edge, Fusion). I have the same problem with Chevy's Cruze.
I agree, the new names they have don't sell me one bit. I don't know why the new Fusion couldn't have just been called a Taurus, a name Ford's had coming up on three decades now. A car that's always been a midsize is now a fullsize so they could slot in a name that ultimately falls short. Cruze and Flex are the top of my list of awful car names. I guess what the import companies have been doing right is building a decent car in the first place and then holding on to the good name they made for the car. Even if the import car names are effeminate, beige and weak. I guess a good descriptor of the product.

Last edited by Valkyrie5.7; 12-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
I agree, the new names they have don't sell me one bit. I don't know why the new Fusion couldn't have just been called a Taurus, a name Ford's had coming up on three decades now. A car that's always been a midsize is now a fullsize so they could slot in a name that ultimately falls short. Cruze and Flex are the top of my list of awful car names. I guess what the import companies have been doing right is building a decent car in the first place and then holding on to the good name they made for the car. Even if the import car names are effeminate, beige and weak. I guess a good descriptor of the product.
Me thinks you just came up with three very marketable names for cars: Effeminate, Beige and Weak. Lol!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Me thinks you just came up with three very marketable names for cars: Effeminate, Beige and Weak. Lol!
I had better get them copyrighted before the big three steal them out from under me to compete with Honda and Toyota
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
I had better get them copyrighted before the big three steal them out from under me to compete with Honda and Toyota
That would be one hell of a boardroom meeting...

"Well if Toyota and Honda can dominate the car market by selling effeminate, beige and weak cars, then we should beat them at their own game."

"And how do you propose we do that?"

"We'll call ours cars exactly what the Japanese have building: the chic Effeminate, the full-sized Beige, and the compact Weak! I mean, it worked for the new Dodge Dart, didn't it? Everyone thought it was fast!"

Tags
automotive news, compact cars, dart, dodge, modern cars

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.