Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 203 transfer case questions
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 06:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse01
when it's in 2h the front driveshaft shouldn't spin......right?

see the other day i had it all the way back or close to it (it's hard to tell w/o the cover) and moved it around and the front driveshaft still spun as i was driving so i crawled under it and was able to spin the driveshaft by hand. so that means it was in 2h right? b/c when i push that little lever all the forward i can't spin the front driveshaft by hand no more so that means in locked in, but i thaught when it was in 2h the front driveshaft shouldn't spin

or maybe i'm just a retard since i'm new at this 4x4 stuff either way i love it

J
203 is full-time with an open or locking differential in the transfer case that os open in 4H or 4L and locked during 4H Lock and 4L Lock. That means in 4H and 4L, your front driveshaft turns (full-time 4wD), but the open diff. in the transfer case will stop the truck if even one tire on the vehicle loses traction (this assumes no posi trac or lockers exist). In 4H Lock or 4L Lock, it is like a 'normal' 4wD and broth driveshafts are locked together. This is from a 1978 Suburban I had anyway. The positions I remember are starting forward: 4H Lock, 4H, Neutral (power take-off position), 4L, 4L lock.