220 in the garage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

220 in the garage

has anyone wired 220 in there garage before? i am not an electrian or anywhere near one. or even wireing a 220 extension cord so i can run from my dryer outlet to the garage
thanks for the help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Is your garage attached or detached? There is no breaker panel in the garage?

I added another 220 breaker in the breaker box then ran dedicated wiring when I installed my air compressor. Just make sure you kill the main breaker before you start.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I'm nowhere near being an electrician either but I did wire my house and garage, including 220 service, basically by following a couple well written DIY books. You can usually find good wiring books at the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

Two that I would highly recommend are "The Complete Guide to Home Wiring" published by Black & Decker/Creative Publishing International, ISBN 0-86573-636-7, which was $19.95 back when I bought it.

And "Step by Step Guide Book on Home Wiring", by Ray McReynolds, Step-By-Step Guide Book Co., ISBN 0-9619201-0-6 (Can be ordered toll free 1-800-678-1500 if you can't find it in the stores).

One final note, some local codes make it very difficult for the home owner to do their own electrical work. So make sure you don't move forward with your wiring only to have to tear it all out afterward because of local restrictions.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselsmoke
has anyone wired 220 in there garage before? i am not an electrian or anywhere near one. or even wireing a 220 extension cord so i can run from my dryer outlet to the garage
thanks for the help
If you are not 100% sure what you are doing, hire someone. It is nothing to play with, you can easily hurt yourself or burn your house down.
It is not a good idea to extension off a dryer plug either

Chet
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

heads up !!

There has been a recall on some Elect books lowes and other stores sell under different covers. I don't know what the problem is . I read a lot of elect books when I started to remodel my house years ago and spend time checking with the maintenance electrician at work. Eventually I got A contractors Lic and cert to teach elect classes. If you can find a friendly electrician to guide you along. My son is an electrical contractor and he stays away from helping home owners do jobs because of the liability issues. He usually tells them to do what they do best and make some money to hire him to do the entire job.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 PM

220 in a garage

Been an Electrician for 23 years, first there is no 220v, the voltage is 240v, next there are 2 types of people who work with electricity, those that know it, and those that don't. A dryer should not be run on an extension cord, and if you did this cord would be expensive. There are too many variablles without more info, ask around your area for references for an electrician.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

it's not too hard if you have the knowledge... otherwise ,,, call a handyman... it won't cost a lot and then you are sure of it... if you have 2 lines in there already,, you might be 1/2 way done... but how will you know ??
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM

thanks guys i will do some further cheking into it
Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

I did the the whole thing myself after getting a permit. It's important to get the permit as it requires an inspection by a qaualified electrical inspector and the permit eliminates any potential problems with your insurance company if you have a fire. That's also why I keep the GFI in place from the original house wiring to the garage even though my TIG welder trips it occasionally.
That's not a big deal to me as I put my XM radio on a different circuit.

I used 1.25" metal conduit from the main panel around the outside of the house under the eaves to the garage panel and fed the wires through as I erected the conduit.

Not much to it. I was most careful when making the connections at the main panel.

I checked these items three times;

Yes the main breaker is off.
No, I don't have any tools in my hands or pockets that could contact the bus bars.
No, I'm not standing in a puddle of water.

The inspection went smoothly and was signed off with no problems.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rotor Flap
I did the the whole thing myself after getting a permit. It's important to get the permit as it requires an inspection by a qaualified electrical inspector and the permit eliminates any potential problems with your insurance company if you have a fire. That's also why I keep the GFI in place from the original house wiring to the garage even though my TIG welder trips it occasionally.
That's not a big deal to me as I put my XM radio on a different circuit.

I used 1.25" metal conduit from the main panel around the outside of the house under the eaves to the garage panel and fed the wires through as I erected the conduit.

Not much to it. I was most careful when making the connections at the main panel.

I checked these items three times;

Yes the main breaker is off.
No, I don't have any tools in my hands or pockets that could contact the bus bars.
No, I'm not standing in a puddle of water.

The inspection went smoothly and was signed off with no problems.

SHHHH!
You don't want to let the electricians secret out
Electricians would like everyone to think they are the only ones that can run power and do it legally and safe.

In between reading up & talking to your inspector BEFORE you start, and following his recommendations anyone can run house wiring safely and legally.

I would sure like to know how it is considered by electricians to be dangerous to run an extension cord from a nema 10-30R/nema 10-30p with soow 8-3 and it is not dangerouss to do this same thing if you used nema14-30r/nema14/30p and soow 8-3. (btw you can buy soow8-3 fr around $2 a foot)

Yes the wire gauge requirement will increase with distance, but compare apples to apples - the potential to recepticle and plug will remain constant.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken konoff
A dryer should not be run on an extension cord, and if you did this cord would be expensive. There are too many variablles without more info, ask around your area for references for an electrician.
Making a blanket statement like that without knowledge of any variables is wrong. An extension cord sized properly for the breaker feeding the circuit is perfectly acceptable and safe.

FWIW, If your state licenses electricians make sure who ever you contract with has the proper license.

Vince
Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Making a blanket statement like that without knowledge of any variables is wrong. An extension cord sized properly for the breaker feeding the circuit is perfectly acceptable and safe.

FWIW, If your state licenses electricians make sure who ever you contract with has the proper license.

Vince
If you look at my answer, I said you should not run an dryer on an extension cord. If the person was plugging in this cord to an dryer out let to feed an garage this not acceptable. what I meant by too many variables is that I needed more info to give him advice. Cords in general mean temporary supply of power and if he wanted the proper cord it was going to be very expensive even though I don't approve. So cords stated by a previous viewier are not allowed if exposed to physical damadge. The proper cord left exposed is very expensive for temporary supply of power. Check with any local inspector or local fire marshall. I deal with cords all the time at work, and people just don't know about them. THEY ARE TEMPORARY
Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Last photo:

The OP did not say he wanted to power his garage from a dryer outlet, only that he wanted to run an extension cord from the dryer outlet to the garage. More than likely it is for a welder or an air compressor which is acceptable as long as the wire is sized accordingly.

Vince
Old 02-05-2010, 05:04 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

more elect stuff

Some jurisdictions require only licensed electricians to do elect work and only licensed contractor can get a permit. Other places the home owner can get the permit. The whole key here is do it right, have it checked. 10 years ago I bought an old farm, we did the walk thru and could see a lot of elect work that didnít' meet code. My son checked the incoming line, Romex ran thru the trees and it was not powered (romex in trees not to code). This was an estate sale so there was no homeowner disclosure of permit-known defect possible. There was a new meter on one side of the house and on the barn side the old box was bare. Someone had wired it so when the back porch was on it powered the shop. barn and horse stalls. I was gone one Sunday and my son turned on the back porch lite and it did about $ 50 k damage. Lucky I had full replacement insurance and 500 deductible.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

If it is not temporary then what is a cord on an appliance? A 50 or even 100 foot long soow cord wired to his welder and plugged into the dryer recepticle when needed fits your description.
And yes 50 and 100 foot soow cord on welders is common.

What is very expensive?
Each of us has our own definition of the answer to that question.

For me, a couple hundred doolars to make up a cord to be able to run my welder is a cheaper option than spending a few thousand dollars to pay an electrician to wire my garage for a welder outlet, to only find out the outlet isnt close enough to my project to be able to use my mig and I end up buying an extension cord for it.

The topic was how hard to wire a 220 garage circuit, that he has never wired a 220 cord no less.
Why not tell him that wiring a 220 circuit is no more than running one leg off each side of his panel and one nuetral to the recepticle?
why not tell him how to leaglly and safely go about it?
Why give the typical electrician answer?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.