Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 220 V issue
Thread: 220 V issue
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
Thanks for the info. I noticed they sell the plug and wire in 6 foot length specific for dryers. I could buy additional 10 gauge 220 wire and make an extension cord to my air compressor. I figure the cost with wiring and a plug will be about $60 which is better than $500. It'll be nice to be able to use my air tools again as well.
Ed

I'm confused now, I got this from an old post in here. The guy is a licensed electrician and quotes," It is a dangerous practice to run a plug on a circuit that it's not intended for such as putting a 30 amp drier plug on a 20 amp piece of equipment. This is a violation. You must use the correct plug for the circuit and not go over or under. I'm a licensed electrician by trade.
[/QUOTE]

I think that quote is from a thread I was involved in last year. I spliced in a standard dryer cord to a 10 gage line I ran into the garage for a welder (20A). The dryer line is on a 30A breaker meaning that the welder (or anything else not rated at 30A on that line) may not be protected. But, this is the same as probably every appliance or power tool you plug into a 120v outlet so to me it's a moot point. In my case, the 10gage line ends in a 20A plug but wire size is correct for the 30A breaker. I got some crap for this setup but I maintain that as long as the wire size is correct for the breaker and workmanship is correct it is safe. I included pictures of my set-up in that post.