220V welder or 110V - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 07:33 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

220V welder or 110V

I have been pricing welders I can get a hobart 180 220V for 699$ CDN or a millermatic 135 for $749 CDN

It sounds like a no brainer, but to run the hobart, I have to get a proper 220V subpanel feed into grandmas garage. This is going to probably cost me $200 to $300, plus a day and a half labour to dig a decent ditch to run the wire through from her house to the garage (40 feet and a tunnel under the sidewalk)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
LOL, I just did exactly that! Had to cut concrete, run he conduit, big job. It wasn't just for the welder. It all started when Santa brought my son a basketball back board at Christmas............

Listen, unless you are doing frame work, that Millermatic 135 is PLENTY. That is all we use at work, five of them. It is a darn good welder. Even "frame" rails in unibody cars are no big deal. I even have the other guys welding 1/8" truck frames with them. When I have to do that, I break out the 250 amp Miller 220 volt, but they do it and it appears to weld it fine.

Brian
Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Yes,That 120V will do most anything you need. Also more "portable" for when your friends,"Oh you got a welder?",need something done.
Only deal is when using it on it's higher settings,You WILL need a GOOD #10 ga wire cord and circuit as it does pull some juice and can trip a simple house recpticle circuit.
The 220v loop for the shop is comming anyway you know, Welder,air compressor,A/C,tanning bed,2000 watt surround sound,105" TV, the list goes on and on.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

I have a 110 volt Lincoln welder and does the job fine for whatever reason I use it on my car and around the house. 220 would be nicer but if you don't want to go through the headeche go for the 110.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

The 110 welder would probably do most of what you need it for, but in my opinion, a garage without 220 is... just not right, dangit! If you want to get serious, 220 volt equipment is the only way to go, especially air compressors that can paint a complete or run a large air grinder without wild swings in pressure. So ask yourself how long you will be doing work there, how much work you will do there, and decide if the investment is worth it. Most homes actually do have 220 at the panel, so a subpanel may not be necessary if there is space in the panel for another breaker.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Be there for a while???

I woudl certainly do a 220 circuit out to the garage..actually 2 seperate questions to me..I own a 110 Linclon wire feeder and it has worked fine for me for a long time..but then you do need a good solid power source so I would dig the trench and lay a 220 circuit in..You will be glad you did down the road..

OMT
Old 10-04-2005, 05:14 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I personally believe that any garagem, large or small, will eventually need 220V out there. That is something that you can do when ever though. The 110 unit will serve you good, as ling as you don;t have some really thick stuff to weld. As was said, you will need a really heavy extension cord for it. A smaller cord will reduce the power of the welder and likely trip breakers.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:31 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

I have a 110 and have used it to weld up the frame and motor mounts on my car. It does the job but you wont get hours of continuous weld time. I can weld about 3 - 4 4inch welds and it will shut down. That is on the highest setting.
It got the job done but if I had the choice and money was no object I would get the 220.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:34 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:

Thanks guys, it's not my garage, so If I wire it for 220V, it is an extra expense that I am going to have to consider carefully.

The tool shop set up a welder and I tried out a Miller 135 today. I am going to go back some time this week, and try the 220V hobart as well

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.