23 bucket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

23 bucket

Hello,

I recently acquired a 23 T Bucket with a built up chevy 350, TH400 trans lots of go fast mods, etc. I am concerned and need some help with the front suspension. I am not sure what to expect, but it seems that I can't go above 65 mph without the front end vibrating. In addition, when I get on the throttle a bit, I have to counter steer or I will run off the road or change lanes, neither of which are healthy. Does anyone have any advise where to start? I assume that there are many of variables and don'd know what my expectations should be. For instance, should the car be capable of going 90 -100mph? Please advise.

Thanks,

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Hard to diagnose ... without seeing the car ...

Some T-Buckets have very small tires on the front ...

Sometimes a car without enough toe-in with shimmy and shake @ speed. Most any car with a high power to weight ratio will pull to the right with a lot of power applied.

Camber and caster also are very important.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Deuce,

Thanks for the response. I do have what appear to be the same style wheels and tires that are reflected in the photo that you sent. The biggest difference that I see are the small shocks which mine dont have.

Also, the car actually drifts or sways to the left when you get on it and then over corrects to the right when you let off. Any Idea where to begin if I want to add the shocks which I imagine will help to stabilize?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:01 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The first ting you might want to do is do a thorough inspection of the chassis and suspension. You could have loose bolts, worn bushings, worn heim joints, poor steering geometry, the list goes on. it would be helpful to post some pictures so we know what your dealing with. No two T buckets are ever the same.

Have someone sit in the car and turn the whel left and right repeatedly. You can watch the joints move back and forth on the steering system to make sure everything is tight.

The pulling to the side sounds like it could be bumpsteer, or possible worn rear suspension parts.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info Arrowhead,

How are photos posted?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Do you have a panhard bar installed on the front end? Sometimes without one you will get side to side movement in the spring shackles that will cause darting etc.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

Henry, (I hope thats your name),

I have only heard of this being used on the rear of a vehicle, never the front. Do you have a photo, or can you direct me to where I may see one installed.

Thank you
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

If you are running full size rotors and brakes they are very prone to vibration if not balanced perfectly. Most buckets will pull to the right when stomped on and are very suseptable to road crown. I have never seen a panhaard bar on the front of a T-Bucket but anything is possible. There is a good article on the National T-Bucket Alliance website on alignment.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Wiki Edits: 1

I run a panhard bar on both the front and back of my T. The front bar is attached on one end to the bottom of the spring perch via a bracket, the other end is attached to the lower arm of a hair pin radius rod, just behind the clevis that attaches to the batwing. I'll see if I can find a picture and post it later.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

When you click on "Post Reply", scroll down a little and you will see a box "manage attachments". You can add photos there.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if your getting torque steer, that is a counter steer when you get on it, a suspension component, front or rear is actually moving forward and backward. the rear can make it do it, because the thrust angle changes. get it checked out ASAP. if it's under 100k miles, you could try for lemon law if it's that bad.. but most importanly it's DANGEROUS.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:28 PM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Personaly, I'd take some of the opinions from the national t bucket alliance with a grain of salt. I've seen those guys argue whether shocks are even needed. I believe shock absorbers have been an accepted and necessary concept in automotive design world for around a hundred years.

What conceivable benefit is derived from not having shocks?

But, you'll see plenty of short wheel base, skinny wire wheels with small motorcycle size front tires, whimpy brakes, no shocks, guaranteed bump steer geometry, tie rod out front, big rear tires powered by a blown big block and the guy thinks it handles great.

Sir Wiston Churchill said it best. "It doesn't take all kinds, there just are all kinds".
Old 11-11-2007, 10:58 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

wild ride t buckets

MY t sat in the barn for years , My son wanted to ride in it so he cleaned it up. got a battery out of the tractor and we rolled it out. I hadn.t driven it hard for 20 years. Did a wheelie and it headed for the fence. got the front wheels down and straight. I forgot how fast you can get into trouble. A friend, Joe Davis in Northern Calif set 4 drag racing records with his T. he used adjustable coilovers on the rear and tuned the suspension to go straight. also ran wheelie bars with adjusters on them ...HIs Colt 45 Mustang had one front wheel farther out front than the other, He told everyone that was to make it go straight with engine torque twisting the frame BUT actually he found that by running solid moon wheel covers and wheelie bars on the rear he could push both wheels thru the starting lites and the red lite was triggered when the light shined into the electric eye after the tires rolled past . one wheel then the other gave him a lot more jump distance than when it had 10 spoke mag.s on the front.. then if he jumped more than a tire width he got a red lite....don't try that today the timing lights work different now.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 AM

Last photo:

Thank you all for your input. I have attached several photos of my ride. Maybe you will see something that looks wrong or??? Thanks again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1199 (Large).JPG
Views:	111
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	25493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200 (Large).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	25494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201 (Large).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	25495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202 (Large).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	25496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1204 (Large).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	25497  

Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Wiki Edits: 1

Just by looking at the pictures, it appears there is some front-to-back stress on the spring shackles. Looking from above the front spring, notice how the shackles seem to align on the batwings forward of the overhead center of the spring, and the leaves of the spring are kind of aligned to the rear. The shackles are twisted between the spring eyes and the batwings. This may be because the way the tie rod is on the car, it needs to clear the frame's roll tube. If you can't get enough clearance after to clear the roll tube after adjusting the shackles to be vertical, you may have to alter the spring perch to let the spring come forward a little. Just my .02.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.