23 t 4 wheel disk brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 04:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

23 t 4 wheel disk brakes

I am installing a set of polished baer brakes "Rod & Drag" units in the back on my small ford 9 inch.
This system utilizes PBR lightweight single-piston calipers with an integral park brake mechanism. The rotors dimensions are 11.35" x .810" and are directionally ventilated rotors.

On the front I am using Wilwoods polished Forged Billet Dynalite 4 Piston Calipers and spindle mount kit.

I am using a corvair steering box and doing the vertical steering column thing. The trany is a polished aluminum powerglide.

at this time I have a single reservoir master cylinder like on a 66 Impala and it just fits between the shifter arm on the trany and the bracket for the steering box.less than 1/4 inch clearance front or back. and can not use a longer push rod to mount master cylinder behind the steering box.

I would like to use a swing pedal system and mount my master cylinder on the firewall. I have no options I can see and still run a dual reservoir master cylinder. I have thought about using my single master cylinder to activate a remote system but have decided that a remote system is only as safe as its weakest link and with everything in place on a remote system you still really only have a single reservoir brake system. If anyone has a great idea please contact me on this subject.

I would also like some info on a good place to purchase my brake lines. and what would be the best size. I know I want stainless steel. thanks
[IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	8784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	8785  

Advertisement

Last edited by nota57; 12-31-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Last photo:

There are systems that mount a dual master cylinder totally under the dash. For brakes lines and hardware try these people. I didn't totally understand why you could not use a longer pushrod and mount the master cylinder further back under the body

http://www.performanceplumbing.com/

Vince
Old 12-31-2005, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

the steering box and trans crossmember take up all the room that would be needed to install a rod. It's like a five car crash in that area! thanks for the info
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Last photo:

Forgot to mention brake line size, 3/16" is most common. Really no need to go any bigger. 3/16" is an uncommon size for any local supplier. Industrial instrument repair and construction firms will have 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". At work we have an instrument vendor who comes in occasionally and I had him order two 10 foot stalks of 3/16" SS tubing for me. he charged me $2.00 a foot which is far below what I could have ordered it for any place else.

Vince
Old 01-02-2006, 10:08 AM
T buckets rule

On my buckets the master cylinder is under the floor behind the trans crossmember. I just made a very long rod from the under floor pedal to the master. I used a master from a 76 Vega. They work fine.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.