23 T Bucket ? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 08:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'23 T bucket

All-world1....Her's another thought I had this morning. If you are after more of a nostalgic look, there is an other front end set up that works well and looks great. You start with a '37 to'40 Ford front axle assembly, split the wishbone, add bungs for tie rod ends, cut off the stock spring mounts, mount a model 'A' spring between the wishbones and reshape the spindle steering arms. The neat thing about this type of front end is that it puts the Ford smile(the bow in the axle)back on the front of your car. Then too, you have the option of drilling the axle and 'bones. This is the set up Ray Sisemore used on the Car Craft bucket series in '64. I've used it several times and it is bulletproof. Just another option for you. Ron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 01:43 PM

23 T-bucket

Almost forgot to mention....this province requires fenders. Speedway sells some fenders, mostly for '28 and later. Not sure of the mounting hardware required.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:31 PM

23 T-bucket

Ron, that's an interesting front end, can't quite picture it yet but it adds some consideration. If you can snag a pic, that would be great. What's the availability of '37-'40 axle assemblies these days? Craig
Old 08-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

'23 T bucket

It sometimes takes a little looking, but there are '37 to'40 front axle assemblies out there. If possible you want to score a '40, that way you've got your spindles and brakes all in one package. If you go with the Mas axle, you still are looking at buying a set of spindles. Everyone knows what their worth now so finding a set for under $150 is hard to do(thanks e-bay). I've been able to locate a complete front end for $200. If you have to settle for a '37, '38 or '39. the brakes aren't that hard to find. Ron p.s. Check your PM's.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:31 PM

23 T-bucket

I do like the clean look of the tubular axle, but axle with spindles sounds like a find....giving some thought here. Sorry, what do mean by PM's????

Leaving town again tomorrow and I'm taking some drafting supplies with me to redraw the CCR frame plans to accomodate the 60 deg. kick. I assume the 7 inch kick you recommend is the difference in height between top of front rail and top of rear rail behind the kick. Just wanted to get it right before I start chopping steel.

Again, thanks for your thoughts, I'll likely have more questions for you by the end of the week.
Craig
Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

'23 T bucket

Craig... I understand what you mean about the clean look of the tube axle. The I beam is just another option. Depending on the size of your budget, it could also be a money saver. If you look at the top of this page, you will see a panel with the thread name in it. To the right of that is a box that has your user name in it. Under your name is "personal messages". Click on that. About the 7" kick, yes, it's the distance from the top of one rail to the top of the other one. If you lay this out full scale, you will be able to measure the length of the kick tube. On the subject of fenders, It's too bad you have to run them, but on a rainy dad, the guy behind you will be so happy you put them on your car! You are going to have to check how much of the circumference of the tire John law wants covered.Cycle fenders are the most inconspicuous. The bracket's are easy enough to fab. Ron
Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here is a pic of what Younster was talking about earlier. This is a split wishbone setup with the shcakles mounted to the wishbones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08349-vi.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	23591  
Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM

23 T-bucket

Thanks home brew, I recognize this setup now. Youngster was right about the nostalgic look.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

T buckets forever

I still have my original T bucket, I found the body in 1951,... a few years later in high school one of the guys brought in a 1957 hot rod magazine with a cool T and I decided to build It ... first with an olds motor with flathead running gear on a 28 chevy frame,,,, I ran out of money in college and sold everything except the bucket body. In 65 I built a new chassis using a boxed original T frame, olds 456 rear and olds front brakes on a tube axle , Ford 390 with 3 -2's, Packard overdrive trans....does wheelies.... I did a 27 on an A frame and a shortened T touring on a custom frame... rebuilt someone else's project T with a buick V 6 , I have a couple of T projects in my shop right now This time I bought the plans from California Custom Roadsters, I was thinking of using one of my Jag rear ends The total plan set is only $20 It gives you full size patterns,,, and dimensions ,,,parts list ... You have to do your own design for things like gas tank mounts ,,,battery box. E brake mount, trans cooler mounts.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-world1
Almost forgot to mention....this province requires fenders. Speedway sells some fenders, mostly for '28 and later. Not sure of the mounting hardware required.
Princess Auto sells trailer fenders. Many guys use them. As Youngster says brackets are easy to fab.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

'23 T bucket

That cool little '27 that Home brew posted is a great example of a low budget bucket. If anyone is thinking of using this type of front suspension, use the '37 to '40 axle. The T in the picture has a '48 type axle on it. It looks good but the turning radius would be very large because the tires would hit the radius rods. This car also uses a '37 type spring, the model A spring is a perfect fit in the '40 type axle and bones. notice the distance between the king pin and the wishbone pin. On the '48, the distance is shorter than the '40. Youngster
Old 08-27-2007, 04:10 PM

23 T-bucket question

Thanks home brew for the fender info.

A question about steering columns.... I have a complete wiring harness (for GM steering columns) that was to be used for another project but I'd like to use it for the bucket even though it's probably more than I need. Do any specific GM columns come to mind that would be a nice fit?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM

bump steer on 23 ''t'' bucket

I bought a 23 ''t'' partly built & finished.On the front it has the spring behind the axle. It has a Vega steering box with a drag link to the rt.[passenger side] wheel. then in front of the axle a tie rod goes from the rt. wheel to the lt. wheel. It does real good on a smooth road ,but on a rough road it has bump steer[ kinda scarey.] I don't have a panhard bar [ not really anyplace to put one.] I have drum brakes & friction shocks. does anbody know a fix for this???
Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

re:23 T ?

I have always used a Corvair box on my Ts. They're light weight and the aluminum one polishes up so nice. Along with the box, the column can easily be modified so you have the horn, turn signals, etc. Youngster
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop
I bought a 23 ''t'' partly built & finished.On the front it has the spring behind the axle. It has a Vega steering box with a drag link to the rt.[passenger side] wheel. then in front of the axle a tie rod goes from the rt. wheel to the lt. wheel. It does real good on a smooth road ,but on a rough road it has bump steer[ kinda scarey.] I don't have a panhard bar [ not really anyplace to put one.] I have drum brakes & friction shocks. does anbody know a fix for this???
A couple years ago I saw a ''t'' with a Honda rack & pinion , mounted in front of the axle. it was in Mountain Home, ark. Any body tried this ????

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.