23 T Bucket ? - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

23 T Bucket?

all-world1...If you are considering the F-100 brakes, buy the November issue of Street Rodder. There's an article on this brake swap in it.

Youngster

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM

23 T Bucket?

Thanks for the heads-up Youngster, I'll pick it up.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:51 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

As far as the body and when to purchase it goes, The best time to buy it is,IMO, after the chassis is up on wheels. At this point, you can glass the floor in and that will pretty much keep it from changing shape. It will also give you a good reference point for engine placement, gas tank and battery, steering, etc. Besides, then you can sit in it and make disgusting noises when you need a little encouragement to get to work on it! Trust me, your wife will think you've lost it if she catches you!

I have to disagree with you on this. I would buy the body first before you do any thing else. All bodys are not the same. It would not be good to build a frame to find out the body won't fit the way you wanted it to. I have built several buckets all from scratch and always bought the body first.

I posted some pics of my latest T in my photo album, but can't figure out how to get over here.

Last edited by RPM; 10-04-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
I would buy the body first before you do any thing else. All bodys are not the same. It would not be good to build a frame to find out the body won't fit the way you wanted it to. I have built several buckets all from scratch and always bought the body first.
I agree with this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
I posted some pics of my latest T in my photo album, but can't figure out how to get over here.
Here you go.

The program would not load the way you had the photo named. It would place an asterisk where three letters originally were. I downloaded your photo to my computer and renamed it. I then uploaded it to my photo album and was then able to put it on this post.

Last edited by Frisco; 10-04-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: placed picture in post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Thank You, I'll figure it out one day.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM

23 T Bucket?

I did not know about body warpage. The body I was going to purchase this winter would likely not be installed for about a year. What do you do to keep the glass straight? Or should I wait a bit?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

23 T Bucket?

Normally, I would agree with you Frisco and RPM, but in this case all-world1 wants to buy as he goes. The frame dimensions he is using are for a body that I have used many times, so i feel comfortable with him building his chassis before buying his body. As a rule, and you can check back to my previous postings, I strongly suggest that the major components are collected before the build begins, namely, body, engine and trans, radiator and fan, rear end, front end, and rims and tires. This way a builder can mock his car up and has most all of the references at hand when he starts his build.

Youngster
Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM

23 T Bucket?

Hope to have all the rolling chassis parts with engine and tranny before tacking anything together. And I feel fortunate to have youngster and all other contributors out there with their expertise.

The pay-as-you-go plan is the only way I could get my wife on board with this project and that's ok because chances are that she'll never figure out what this whole thing will cost. Sometimes ya do what ya gotta do.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
Thank You, I'll figure it out one day.
Go HERE and scroll down to my post. This will tell you how to post pictures as either a Thumbnail (small picture with click to show full size feature) or how to post a full size picture.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Thoughts on engines?

What are the thoughts on engines for us on the low buck plan?

The pictures of the buckets with big blowers, hemis, etc. are all neat to look at, but I'm looking for a cheap reliable power plant that will still give more performance than I should probably really have (hey, just being honest!).

I'm on the low buck plan unfortunately so I'm thinking the much maligned Chevy 305 might be a good low buck choice? A good runner 305 can be had for a lot less than a 350 around here and in a car as light as a t bucket I'd think it would give all the power one would honestly want in such a vehicle.

Dress up parts are cheap and readily available. It may not be a popular version, but it is a small block Chevy so repair/rebuild parts are cheap and easy to come by and in a car this light I just gotta believe that if I plant my foot in it it'll be all I wanna do to keep it between the ditches! It may even give a little better fuel economy (not really a big concern).

Am I wrong here? Would a 350 be a significantly better choice?

I've even considered a V-6 or 4 cylinder, but to my eye they just don't look "right" in a t-bucket, besides I don't think they'd really be any cheaper.

Just wondering what the thoughts are - any thoughts/comments are welcome!

Steve
Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

'23 T bucket ?

One of the buckets I've been involved with was build by a kid that lives down the street from me. He started the car when he was a 17 year old senior in high school working as a lot boy at one of the local dealerships. It took about 3 years to get the car on the road, but at that point he only had about $4000 in it. It still needed color and threads, but it was drivable and legal.

To get back to your question about engines, he used the engine and trans out of a 80 some thousand mile '60 Chevy 4 door. It was a bone stock 185 HP, 283 with a powerglide. The rear end is an 8" Maverick. This car will get out on the highway and keep up with traffic with no sweat. I agree these little rockets look best with a V8 in them, but that's just my opinion. Another one was built with a '63 Nova 4 cyl with Merc marine goodies in it and it goes like stink. What ever trips your trigger. The Chevy V8's are the cheapest way to go.

Youngster
Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 PM

23 T Bucket?

Agree with youngster, the small block chevs probably the cheapest way to go. I'll be throwing in a 283 purely for nostalgia reasons - had one during the good 'ol days and it ran forever.

One thing I've noticed though....the rebuild kits are generally quite a bit cheaper for the 350s than any other small block chev, guess they're more popular.

Craig
Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

I had a 61 283 and cast iron glide in my first T bucket and it had plenty of power.

I have to agree that as far as economics go the small block Chev and especially the 350 are winners. goodies are cheap and plentiful. A drag racers obsolete last years manifold makes a nifty and trick manifold on the Other pieces are normally less in cost simply because volume and competition bring the price down.

My son has a steel 27 body that we intend to do up as a high boy with a 56 Desoto Hemi but that is going to cost about 4 times as much as if we used one of the small blocks we have. The adapter to attach it to the 727 torqueflite is over 300 bucks and doesn't include many pieces. That's the price of having something different.

At this stage of the game, I'm 60 and the first rod trot I was a participant in was the 1973 Street rod Nationals in Tulsa. I want cars that are somewhat reliable and comfortable. I have always used major components that can be repaired or replaced with little hassle and not having to wait for a UPS red lable box from California to be back on the road again. Seeing a friend having to leave his car in storage 3 states away and go back a month later with a pickup and trailer to get it plus missing a major rod run in the process because he burned out a bearing in a custom Jag rear hub and none were available at any cost spoiled me on the ultra trick goodies.

Build what you want. The only opinion of others that really counts is when they point out something that they don't see as being safe on your car and can explain why.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Build what you want. The only opinion of others that really counts is when they point out something that they don't see as being safe on your car and can explain why.

[/QUOTE]

Well said Chopt 48

Youngster
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Build what ya want . . . I agree completely!

In fact that's why a hot rod is more attractive to me than a restoration - in a restoration there are definite rights and wrongs, in a hot rod it's whatever you want!

I guess my curiosity about the Chevy 305 is whether it will have adequate power to give the full "white knuckle" T-Bucket experience? I'm imagining it would. I would think with just a few hundred pounds over the rear wheels that one wouldn't want a torquey monster for an engine, and with the lightness of the car overall that it simply wouldn't take much to turn one's knuckles white after stomping on the accelerator! <insert a Tim Taylor grunt here!>

But, I dunno . . . I've never driven one. Maybe it really does behave better with a larger engine?

/Steve

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.