Hot Rod Forum banner

23 T Bucket ?

71K views 163 replies 31 participants last post by  SLR_65 
#1 ·
Anyone know much about T-BUCKET's out there? Was check'in them out in one of (Total Performance's) catalog's that i have,were you can get the whole kit or just buy as you build.I think they look kind of cool and would like to know if they are worth the time or money to build.:confused:

#2 ·
I'm in the process of building a 23 t now. I just bought a basic kit, frame, rear end, bucket etc. Parts are pretty easy to get and I've always loved the look of t-buckets. I think they're a great project.

Do a little more research on the internet, you'll find there are lots of kits and parts available.

#3 ·
I have never owned or even ridden in one. I have spoken to alot of owners, and previous owners. They tell me that they ride rough because of the power and light weight. They are a stepping block for other projects. I have a 26 T Touring that will likely be in the same category, as it is basically a 4 door T-Bucket. It is all metal and still light enough for my son and I to pick up the body and carry it around with no problems. It may not ride like a Caddy when done, but I don't like Caddys anyway. LOL

#4 ·
I've got a tbucket. I bought it after it had been sittting for 25 years, my biggest complaint is it's too darn small, the guy built it to fit himself. Keep this in mind if you're fairly tall, they're not the most comfortable cars to drive and a good fit will count a lot in that way. The fun part is they go like a raped ape with a little bit of horsepower, thumbsups from a lot of folks, easy to work on, and a fairly inexpensive start to rodding compared to most street rods. Good luck in your venture. I'm selling mine, I'll take 6 grand. Dan

#5 ·
Yea im think'in long and hard about a T-Bucket because i really think there cool,but i have to say that when travelling thru OHIO once there was a dude sittin under an underpass waiting for the rain quit or something because he looked soaked without side window's or a top.(so i guess there are some bad point's to)

#8 ·
my very first car was one. a t bucket pick up that is. i think the most expensive thing about them is you have to pay to get an all custom interior. you can buy dingers for 6K then do it. they are pretty cheap to buy. you can get them all day long for under 12K for real nice ones too.

hey dinger, is that frame in your album the frame of your bucket? if it is, you (adtkart) REALLY ought to by his.:thumbup:

#9 ·
No, the frame is for the 36 Ford 5w coupe I'm building. When I can get a few hours to mess with the album (wife and stepdaughter online mostly) I have about 25 pics to download. Also a few more of the bucket. Dan

#10 ·
T-buckets can be most excellent hotrods!

As I have said many times in the past, T-buckets are not necessarily the best project for the beginner rodder. If a guy pays attention to what he's doing and uses his head he can build/buy/rebuild a T-bucket that is good handling, comfortable riding and great looking and not spend a fortune doing it!
The rain and storm issue is moot, if you're a roadster-rider you won't care about the wet (it dries) and if you're not a roadster-rider don't try to be! No one wants to hear a guy with a topless car whining about the weather. GEEZ!
These wonderful little cars usually weigh in at 2000 lbs. or less. So with a stock any-make V8 they are interstellar rocketships, with a stock any-make L- or V-6 they are our universe rocketships, and with a stock or HOT L4 they are our solar system rocketships!
Get my drift?

#11 ·
I was in the same situation over the summer. I love the T-buckets and have been going to shows for years and admiring them. This summer I seriously considered putting one together myself and looked into kits, but they are really expensive as kits. I was told by one of the guys as Total Performance that 15k (without the engine) will get you a complete car, but to make a really nice one is quite a bit more. The completed cars on their website are in the high 20's.

You can buy used for a lot cheaper. In fact, when it comes right down to it, I think it is much, much cooler to own a non-kit version of a t-bucket style hotrod. I finally decided that I'd rather have a non-kit car that has original parts, and it turned out to be a whole lot cheaper than I thought. Got it off of ebay from a guy in SanDiego and had it shipped cross-country

1928 model A pickup frame and body
1950 Ford 9" rear end
1940 Ford steering box
1937 chrysler headlights
'61 283 chevy small block

check out my pix

#13 ·
bullheimer said:
my very first car was one. a t bucket pick up that is. i think the most expensive thing about them is you have to pay to get an all custom interior. you can buy dingers for 6K then do it. they are pretty cheap to buy. you can get them all day long for under 12K for real nice ones too.

hey dinger, is that frame in your album the frame of your bucket? if it is, you (adtkart) REALLY ought to by his.:thumbup:
That is a nice looking frame! I don't think my Touring would sit on it very good. An awfull lot of sag in the thing for my car. I kind of like the Vette IRS and dropped axle for mine anyway.

#14 ·
I agree that weather is always a big consideration. I don't trailer the car (yet!), so I won't head out if there is any chance of rain.

I will also add that it is a bit of a squeeze in a T-bucket style car for a bigger person. I'm 6'3 and after about an hour, I need a GOOD stretch!

#16 ·
do any of you have the old T trucks? I'm more interested in those then the T bucket. do they have more room or less? any thoughts on a good kit for them or where to find one that is all steel? I really like the old 32 Chevy truck (I think that is the right year) the one with the head lights not molded in to the fenders and the long running Broad. to me they look like they have a bit more leg room in them then the T bucket and also might be a bit longer but then that might just be the bed . But would love to get any information on them if you could spare some.
Thanks!

#17 ·
fun cars

Hey I just bought a 23 t-bucket and found in buying it that each bucket has a different feel to it. Some I didn't fit to well in but the one I bought is great. I'm 6'2 and it is not a squeeze. Different steering setups and pedal placement can make a big difference. Go look at some for sale in your area and try sitting in them. Also mine is a little rough riding but the builder put in rack and pinion steering. He built it good and it handles wonderful. Who cares about the weather when you are sitting on a rocket!!!

#23 ·
Neat Bucket T motor

If you want a unique power plant for a bucket T, I once built one with a 2.3 litre Ford 4 banger, with a mild cam, and 4 Micuni single barrel carbs-that sucker really scooted and got a lot of looks. Only draw-back was the sound, unless you like hearing a giant bumble bee

#26 ·
I don't know where you are located, but they have a t-bucket round up here in town ever year. (Mountain Home, AR July 16-21 2007). I intend to annoy them by driving my 56 ford truck around the areas where they will be crusing too. :D

You might want to attend a show (not necessarily this one) and talk to a lot of owners and sit in theirs to get ideas of what fits you as an individual.

There is a place here in town called spirit industries that builds T-buckets. They sell parts and pieces too and "kits". The site is good reading even if you don't get anything from them.

They have a tech forum, but I have not visited it.

They have a PDF assembly manual that might be useful on their site.

They used to have a video of an assembly (watch on your computer), but I don't know if it is stil on their site.

http://www.spiritcars.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.