Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 23 T Bucket ?
Thread: 23 T Bucket ?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'23 T bucket

Youngster, I've tried to get my head around some kind of plan and answer a few of your questions. Still haven't received the MAS catalog yet...maybe it will arrive early next week.

Frame - going with 103" wheelbase, your 60 degree kick and 10" long rails behind the kick to accomodate the round fuel tank.

Body - will be ordering the MAS bucket. What do you normally do about floorboards?

Front suspension - MAS tube axle (you recommend 3" drop) with hairpins, spring and hardware from likely from Speedway. From what I've seen in the adds, the MAS axle takes the early Ford spindles, so I guess that's what I will need.

Rear suspension - high arch spring from Speedway (15.5" high not under load, catalog claims to raise 6-8"). You recommended the 4-bar radius rods

Rear end - I was originally thinking chev 10 bolt because I could get one dirt cheap, but not sure if a Ford 8 or 9 inch would be a better bet. I would appreciate your opinion if it's better to keep both front and rear all-Ford or all-GM.

Engine and tranny - I'm currently rebuilding a 283 SB. For the tranny, originally thinking of a Saginaw 3-speed, but because of limited space on the floor, I'm resigned to a TH350 now.

Tires - this question took me by surprise because I never put any thought into it. What I do know is that I won't be going with motorcycle tires in front or monsters in the rear. At this point, the lakes/roadster look is more appealing. When I was big into hotrodding 30 years ago, tires were discribed as G60, L60, etc. Trying to relate the metric sizing to what I envision is giving me high blood pressure. Maybe something like 26-28 inch diameters, obviously wider in the rear...if that is any help to design the kick height.

After all that, would I be safe with a 10" high rear kick?