Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 23 T Bucket ?
Thread: 23 T Bucket ?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'23 T bucket

Now, that's what I'm talking about!! I think I know were you're goin'. Let's start with the frame. I'm thinking a 7" kick will give you the desired stance. Any more than that and you really start to loose space in the cockpit because of the trans hump. Start with 45" for the body, 32" for the sbc, 6" for the radiator, 1" for engine to firewall, 1" for water pump to elec. fan, 2" for the front cross member and 2" for the fudge factor, gives us 98" for the front rails. At this point you should be some where around a 102" to 103" wheel base. You can use either 5/8" or 3/4" plywood for the floor. I like to cover the plywood top and bottom with resin so all you need here is a piece without knots or voids. Underlayment works well for this. The Ford spindles are the way to go. The Chevy spindles are good too, but the cost of the bearings is high. The Speedway rear spring will also work well. Here's a thought though, there are a lot of serviceable model 'A' rear springs out there. With the modified theme in mind, a set of hair pins on the back would look more traditional. The 8" Ford rear end has a nice clean look. The 10 bolt has always seemed a little too busy for my taste. Without a pu box on the back, you want to keep this area as uncluttered as you can. Look for an 8" out of a mid '70's Maverick. The tread width is just right to go with the 46" front axle. Sbc? Good choice. 350th is OK, but you are building a light car, so you might not need the extra gear. the powerglide(don't laugh yet) is smaller and a damn tough unit. Now for rims and tires. Again, with the modified in mind, how's 15" solids with 165sr15's up front(about 27" tall) and 235r15's out back(about 29" tall) with '40 caps and rings. Sorry but those are a personal favorite. OK, let's talk about searching for parts. The best source I've found are the hot rodders that live around you. It always amazes me how things just seem to pop up right here in town. Of course this site will help too. And the bay has reduced the search on my present project down to 6 months instead of a couple of years. Just my $.02. Send me a PM before you order your axle. I might be able to help out there. More questions? OK!!! Youngster.