Status
Not open for further replies.

23 t bucket Inspection laws

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  delawarebill 
#1 ·
just joined looking for great answers on any and all inspection laws

#4 ·
Here's the best place to start: SEMA Action Network (SAN) TAG_TITLE_TOOLBOX

A few years ago SEMA came up with a set of uniform guidelines for rules and regs for titling streetrods, replicas, homebuilts etc. Your state's proceedure for doing the inspection etc may be different, but most now have the same rules as far as bumpers, fenders, lighting etc.

As far as T-buckets go, depending on whether you intend to buy or build, there are several reputable companies, Spirit Cars, Speedway, Ron Pope, California Custom etc, 3 of them sponsor this forum: T-Bucket Forums

SpiritCars is one that if you buy their kit, or at least a significant portion of the car from them, they can issue you a title for the car which is accepted in most states. This is a huge advantage that most other companies don't offer. They off bodies, frames, and all the rest of the parts to build a complete car, either individually or as complete kits. Spirit Industries

#8 ·
Some States are very easy, I bought a partially built Total Performance '23 T Bucket in Austin, Texas with no title or VIN to be found. I made a dog tag from the local pet store, engraved "TP23T" (the kit number) on it and pop riveted it to the frame, drivers side near the firewall, which DMV accepted as the VIN.

The safety inspection required required me to take it to the local Minute Lube, they looked it over, but with more enthusiasm for the build, a BBC tunnel ram setup, than for safety concerns. I was then required to back it up to a curb and accelerate to a given point marked on the curb and stop hard in a relatively short distance, that was the fun part. They signed off on it, DMV titled it as a 1923 Pickup Truck, done deal. This was in 2012. I took the car to Washington State, they simply transferred title as a 1923 vehicle.

Not every State makes it that easy.

Attachments

#11 ·
T bucket forum

Google T bucket Forums . there are several. Lots of info , I used to live in Calif and in the 60's I used to get stopped every time I took it out. I guy I worked with sometimes drove his steel 22 dodge bucket to work and clued me in. I bought the DMV code book and Memorized all the code sections and could quote them word for word to the oficer. After a while I got stopped a couple more times and the cop said "put the code book away. I have heard you know more about the codes than we do. :If you have got a few minutes I would like to just look it over. I might want to build one. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.