Hot Rod Forum banner

23 t shocks

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  adtkart 
#1 ·
Hi guys, newbie to the board. I'm in the process of building a 23t, but need to know how to measure how long the rear shocks need to be. I searched the previous posts, but could'nt find anything to help me out. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how the measurement should be taken. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

#2 ·
Dont hold me to this but I would measure the distance between mounts with a full load and then subtract about 4 inches and buy shocks that are that length fully compressed. Say the distance is 20 inches at full load - 4 inces for travel you would need 16 inch shocks at compressed state. Another thing to consider is how stiff do you want the shocks I would get shocks for a vehicle with a similar weight. Dont do like me and get shocks with the wrong kind of mounts LOL.

[ June 03, 2003: Message edited by: 54dave ]</p>

#4 ·
Basically.... I believe that the shocks, at ride height, should be at center of the travel. That will allow for travel up and down. You can then figure out how much travel up your car can stand and get the measurement from there. Obviously, it would depend on where the mounts are located.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.