Hot Rod Forum banner

235 engine id

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  willys36@aol.com 
#1 ·
I purchased a '48 chevy stepside that has a 235 in it. I have not been able to find if my engine id search is correct. I see different data on different sites...
The engine has JAD349909 on the block, just behind the distributor. From "googlin" it seemed that the engine was from a 1951 Passenger car. And there are two hold downs in the valve cover, so I take it that this is not the desired 235.

I hadn't tried starting it yet, needs fuel cleaned, oil change, wires, points etc... and I am worried that enough of the wiring looks in terrible shape that I fear putting power to it.

My 59 apache (running) has an engine # F1215J, the only thing I could fathom was it came from Flint plant. Not sure it is original but it does seems to be the right 235... i guess.

thanks in advance

billg

#2 ·
The 235 changed in '55. Earlier ones had no pressure to the rod bearings while the latter ones did, The later engine was so good, Toyota bought the molds and everything else to make them and used them in Land Cruisers up into the 80's! If your valve covers are held on with two nuts on top and the valley cover extends up into the head, it is the earlier model and is likely the original one. If the valve cover is held by slotted head screws around the rim it is the later engine which was a very common upgrade over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.