235 engine lifters - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

it shouldn't, but if it's black or grey, it's just running a little rich. tinkering with/ adjusting the valves correctly can make it more fuel efficent and thus, run a little rich.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The exhaust seats are hardened for use w/unleaded fuel, not the valves.

I totally agree w/Greg T. Putting new lifter on an old cam is just begging for trouble. IMO there is NO "right" way to mix new and old cam and lifters. Period. The ONLY thing that might save you is the old worn out valve springs are probably down to 50 lbs on the seat.

Just the same, I wouldn't ever do it (see Item #18 here). The only way to try to repair bad lifters is if the lifter body is OK, the guts can be removed and replaced w/new guts from a new, identical lifter, as mentioned here.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T View Post
Can't put new lifters on an old cam.
I did it on a '77 Nova with a straight 6 cyl at about 30K with no problems and the car had 142,000 when I sold it only because the body was going bad.
I bought the new lifters from GM Chevy dealer, oiled them well, and used plenty of assembly lube.
Terry
Old 07-04-2012, 06:19 AM

Last photo:

Reused the old lifters,,,they sound good now buy just a little smoke,, could be from theanks tranny fliud in the line , cause when i cganged the modulator valve there was fluid in the line ,,,or could be running a little rich,,,it does burn your eyes a little ,,,1 other thing is after i changed the modulator valve it shiftes better but takes too long to change ,,can i adjust the passing gear linkage to fix this ,,, i get a little diesel sound right befor it changes,,

Thanks guys
Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrobo View Post
Reused the old lifters,,,they sound good now buy just a little smoke,, could be from theanks tranny fliud in the line , cause when i cganged the modulator valve there was fluid in the line ,,,or could be running a little rich,,,it does burn your eyes a little ,,,1 other thing is after i changed the modulator valve it shiftes better but takes too long to change ,,can i adjust the passing gear linkage to fix this ,,, i get a little diesel sound right befor it changes,,

Thanks guys
The eye watering exhaust is unburned hydrocarbons. This is a fancy way of saying there's not enough initial timing, most likely.

If you are hearing detonation and not the bearings rattling, the detonation right before the shift is also likely related to the timing, this time too much. I would recommend you recurve the distributor. Start from scratch and set it up like you would most any "performance" curve (as opposed to a stock curve). The info on this page was originally about the GM V8 HEI but the timing info works for many apps, just change the initial and total amounts of timing to suit the engine being tuned.

If you are strapped for time and you know the total timing is OK where it's at, you can try hooking the vacuum advance up to manifold vacuum and put a one-step heavier advance spring on ONE side and retest. Changing the vacuum advance vacuum source to manifold will speed up the idle if you were using ported vacuum. Reset the idle speed and be sure to readjust the idle mixture screws.

The modulator shouldn't change the WOT shift points. Be sure there's no leaks in the vacuum line and that it's tight on the modulator. You can readjust the detent cable and see if that helps.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-04-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

well i thought i had everything fixed ,,, well i was about 15 miles out ( it was hot ) and it start ticking again real loud so i limped on to our restaurant and i check out the engine department and i saw anti freeze around the radiator and a large spot of oil underneath so after we eat i got 3 large water to go ( for radiator ) and started it up and it sounded fine until, about 15 miles back and it started again,, i made it back home, i guess i need lifters they just not holding pressure i guess .so i will need to fix the rear seal, flush rad ( or replace ) add fan shroud ( maybe ) and work on lifters....so back to work huhh

Tags
chevy 6, inline

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.