Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 235 engine rebuild
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

235 engine rebuild

I have a 235 motor, that I would like to rebuild. I am a rookie and have never rebuilt an engine. It's for a 49' chevy truck that is getting a complete rebuild. I know some people will say ditch the inline and get a v8, but I really like the inline motor's. I have another good runner in a 54' belair, and I think they just look and sound better than the v8's. Anyway, I have taken the head off and the cylinder walls looks good, but the pistions seem stuck. One of the push rods was bent really bad, but I have not taken the lower end off to see the condition. I have not checked to see if there are any cracks in the block, but it doesn't appear so. I will say that when I drained the oil, it was brown with water in it, but it had been sitting outside with an unsecured valve cover for some time. It did also appear to have some fine metal flakes in the oil/mud I drained. I have purchased and read cover to cover books on engine rebuilding, and it seems within' my ability, but I get a little nervous when they talk about the exact tolorances that need to happen. Is this a waste of time, and if so, who sells good rebuilt inline 6's?