235- intake/ exhaust manifold removal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

235- intake/ exhaust manifold removal

Putting on a new exhaust head pipe on my '51 Chevy 235, and even with days of penetrating oil and 50/50 acetone and ATF, and getting the engine hot before trying to remove the bolts, both snapped. kind of expected it, and given that both bolts rusted to 1/4 of there original diamater where the gasket was. not even heat would have fixed it.. tried to drill the bolts out from underneath but it's way too tight. So my only option is to now remove the manifolds, and then I'll have room to do it right and try to chase the original studs out, or drill to the next size if I have to..

Any insight before I crack any bolts loose? I have the gaskets on order from my local CQ, but it looks like the intake/ exhaust use the same gaskets and theres 3 seperate gaskets.. Choked correctly for ambient temp. the engine runs like a swiss watch.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

you could pilot drill both broken bolts , then pound a square easy out in, then heat blistering hot around the hole with the acetylene torch, they may back out easy. You will no doubt ruin 2 easy outs but it may be the least painful way out.I have extracted bolts that way before.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

That's kind of along what I was thinking.. I would have fired up the torch under the car, but the gasket on the oil canister blew out ( not tight enough ), and it's well lubricated under there now. I'v since fixed the gasket and the engine never lost pressure, but havn't cleaned up the quart of oil it left behind before I noticed it...

It's bad enough that, to replace the radiator hoses, you actually need to remove the radiator, loosen the powerglide cooler so it can swing out, and then fight with the hoses.. took me an hr being careful, and I did damage the hose end of the powerglide cooler by spinning a deteroriated hose with a pipe wrench, but it doesent hurt the function.. removing the manifolds just adds to it.. but I'd rather do it up right

Last edited by matt167; 03-15-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.